In Case You Missed It

In Case You Missed It

Don't miss it

soccer-men-d2 flag | November 2, 2013

SNHU stays perfect in NE-10

Men's Soccer, Division II, Southern New Hampshire

ALBANY, N.Y. -- Senior Pierre Omanga scored twice as No. 10 Southern New Hampshire completed a perfect Northeast-10 Conference season with a 2-0 win against Saint Rose on Friday evening at Sullivan Field. The Penmen won their 15th in a row to wrap up the regular season 15-1 overall and 13-0 in NE-10 play, while the Golden Knights are now 8-9 and 5-8 in the league.

With the win, the Penmen become the first team since the Northeast-10 expanded to a 13-game schedule in 2000 to finish the conference season 13-0-0, and the first league team to finish unbeaten and untied in league play since Saint Anselm in 1999. The 15-game win streak is also the second-longest in program history.

No. 4 Lindenwood 7, Southwest Baptist 1

ST. CHARLES, Mo. -- Lindenwood surrendered the first goal of the game to Southwest on Friday night but then exploded for seven unanswered goals and won 7-1.

The Bearcats scored just one minute into the game to take the early lead. But the Lions answered just 18 seconds later when Tiago Pereira scored his first of two goals on the night. The rest of the first half went scoreless and the game headed into the half tied.

The second half was all Lindenwood. The first goal of the half came one minute in when Franz Husbands scored for the third consecutive game. Alejandro DaSilva then started a string of three goals in a 15 minute period. After DaSilva's goal, Husbands scored his second goal just seven minutes later followed by Mauricio Medina, which gave the Lions the 5-1 lead.

In the 80th minute, Craig McTear scored on a perfect pass from Aris Nukic. Pereira then wrapped up the scoring in the 82nd minute with his second goal of the game.

Lindenwood dominated the play all night, outshooting the Bearcats 31-4. Southwest Baptist only mustered three shots on net. Fermin Hughes made his return to the net and won his 12th game of the season.

No. 6 Post 2, Nyack 1

ORANGEBURG, N.Y. -- Sophomore Francisco Sastre scored a goal in the 96th minute to push No. 6 Post past Nyack 2-1 on Friday afternoon. The Eagles finish the regular season at 14-1-1 overall and 11-1-0 in Central Atlantic Collegiate Conference (CACC) play.

Sastre scored the game winner on a shot inside the box that deflected off Warriors' goalkeeper Tom Lohman's hands and into the net. It was Sastre's ninth goal of the season and second game-winning score in overtime.

Senior Henry Ipina put the Eagles on the board in the 35th minute with his first goal of the season. Junior Terrell Whitting  found Ipina inside the penalty area and he booted it to the back of the net to put Post in front 1-0.

Post scored the winner on its only shot in the extra period. The Eagles outshot Nyack 16-11 and held a 10-3 advantage in the first half. Whitting led Post with six shots, including two on goal.

T7 Midwestern State 0, Eastern New Mexico 0

WICHITA FALLS, Texas -- Just like in the first meeting this season, Eastern New Mexico and Midwestern State, the 7th-ranked team in the nation, played to a 0-0 tie Friday night.

The Greyhounds are now 8-5-4 on the season while the Mustangs are 10-3-2.

Eastern dominated the first half with a 12-9 advantage in shots and took five corner kicks to just two from MSU. While the Greyhounds put five shots on goal, the closest they came to scoring was on a header from senior defender Andy Wilkinson that hit the crossbar that occurred off a corner kick taken by senior midfielder Julian Roberts in the 3.

While the Mustangs controlled the ball for most of the second half, the Greyhounds nearly put the ball into the back of the net on a corner kick by Roberts late in the 68th minute when junior midfielder Abayneh Crosby headed the ball but the attempt was blocked by a MSU defender.

In the first extra 10-minute period, the only shot attempts were from ENMU senior midfielder Kal Herbert as he took two but both of them were saved.

The Mustangs held a 5-4 shot advantage in the second overtime period and nearly scored off a free kick in the 107th minute. The header attempt though saved by freshman goalkeeper Severin Niessen.

The Greyhounds had five saves on the night with Niessen making three and the other two being credited to the team. The shutout was Niessen's fourth of the year, tying him for the second most in a season by an Eastern keeper with Peter Horak's 2008 total.

Nick Petolick recorded his seventh shutout of the season while stopping eight shots.