In Case You Missed It

In Case You Missed It

Don't miss it

soccer-men-d1 flag | November 2, 2013

Hoyas downed

Men's Soccer, Division I, Georgetown

QUEENS, N.Y. -- Fifth-ranked Georgetown suffered a 1-0 loss to St. John's (N.Y.)  (9-6-2, 2-5-2) on Saturday evening at Belson Field. The Hoyas had opportunities, but couldn't find a way and fell to 12-4-1 overall and 5-2-1 in Big East Conference play.

The Red Storm possessed the ball for much of the first half, but the Hoyas still had opportunities to look dangerous on offense and the defense stood strong.

The Red Storm continued to fire, but the Hoya defense handled each attempt. The entire game changed in the 43rd minute on a hard tackle by Danny Bedoya. He was given a yellow card, but in the scuffle that ensued, Sean Sepe stepped in and was handed a red card for his actions forcing St. John's to play a man down for the remainder of the contest.

Georgetown controlled the pace for the final minutes, but went into the break in a scoreless tie.

The go-ahead goal came to St. John's outside the run of play in the 71st minute. Danny Bedoya got the ball and passed it to Miguel Alves on the left side. Alves took a low shot from 20 yards out that went to the far post and took a hop in front of Gomez. That hop made the difference, redirecting into the goal to put the Red Storm up by one still playing a man down.

Georgetown fought for the equalizer, as a shot by Muyl from the left side in the 80th minute forced Rafael Diaz to make a brilliant diving save.

As the clock ticked down, the momentum swung to the Red Storm who held on to take down the Hoyas 1-0 and keep their Big East and NCAA Tournament hopes alive.

The Hoyas were outshot 10-8 but took six corner kicks to the Red Storm's four. Tomas Gomez tallied four saves in the net, while Diaz managed three and received the victory.

No. 2 Notre Dame 3, No. 12 Wake Forest 1

WINSTON-SALEM, N.C. -- In a match that had major Atlantic Coast Conference implications, No. 2 Notre Dame came out the victor with a 3-1 triumph of No. 12 Wake Forest on Saturday evening in front of nearly 4,000 spectators at Spry Stadium.

Saturday's game was scoreless until the 36th minute when an offensive outburst resulted in three goals in a span of 4:17. Notre Dame sophomore midfielder Evan Panken was first to score when he deposited his third goal of the season with just over nine minutes left in the first half.

Wake Forest (8-4-5, 5-1-4) knotted the contest in the 40th minute when Luca Gimenez converted a penalty kick after Notre Dame left back Max Lachowecki was issued a yellow card for pushing a Wake Forest player in the box. The Irish had an answer of their own just 40 seconds later when junior forward Vince Cicciarelli scored off a pass from Harrison Shipp. It was Cicciarelli's third goal of the season and it was the team-best 19th point of the campaign for Shipp, a senior forward. The Fighting Irish led 2-1 at halftime.

Notre Dame survived a flurry of shots from the Demon Deacons early in the second half. Senior goalkeeper Patrick Wall finished the night with seven saves, which was one away from his career-high total. Alec Ferrell had two stops for Wake Forest.

Sophomore midfielder Connor Klekota pushed the Irish lead to two in the 68th minute when he scored from outside the penalty box for the first tally of his career. The three goals matched a season-high total for the Irish, who posted their first victory in six tries against Wake Forest.

No. 7 UMBC 2, Massachusetts-Lowell 0

LOWELL, Mass. -- Seventh-ranked UMBC struck for two first-half goals and senior goalkeeper Phil Saunders recorded an outstanding four-save effort as the visiting Retrievers blanked Massachusetts-Lowell 2-0 at Cushing Field.

UMBC, which leads the nation in winning percentage, extended its unbeaten streak to six and improved to 13-1-2 overall and 4-0-2 in America East play. The Riverhawks, who were coming off a win and a tie in their last two America East outings, slipped to 3-13-1, 1-4-1 in their first Division I campaign.

The Retrievers would clinch the America East regular-season title with a victory against Stony Brook on Wednesday evening. UMBC has already secured a first-round bye and will host an America East Tournament semifinal contest on Nov. 13.

UMBC sophomore forward Michael Scott and junior back Marquez Fernandez scored goals for the visitors. Scott was making his first career start in place of the America East’s leading scorer, senior forward Pete Caringi III.

UMBC outshot UML 15-9 and Chris Maierle had four saves for the hosts in the first meeting between the two schools.

Ohio State 1, No. 9 Penn State 0, 2OT

COLUMBUS, Ohio --  On Senior Night and the 12th-annual Connor Senn Memorial Match, Ohio State claimed a thrilling 1-0 win in double overtime, upsetting No. 9 Penn State on Saturday. In the second overtime, freshman forward Danny Jensen scored from the far post at 107:48 to claim the victory, snapping the Big Ten regular season champion Nittany Lion's undefeated conference record in the team's home finale.

With the victory, the Buckeyes improve to 5-6-5 overall and 1-2-2 in Big Ten play, while the Nittany Lions fall to 11-4-1 and 5-1-0 in league action. Ohio State extends its unbeaten streak to five consecutive matches heading into the final week of the regular season.

Subscribe To Email Updates

Enter your information to receive emails about offers, promotions from and our partners