In Case You Missed It

In Case You Missed It

Don't miss it

soccer-men-d2 flag | November 10, 2013

Philadelphia claims first CACC title

NEWARK, Del. – Philadelphia won its first Central Atlantic Collegiate Conference (CACC) title after defeating No. 5 Post in the championship game of the CACC tournament Saturday morning at the Wilmington University Athletics Complex.

Philadelphia—who joined the CACC in 2008—is now 12-7-2 overall. It is the second time that the Rams have won 12 matches under fourth-year head coach Ptah Myers.

Sophomore forward Jordan Lynch scored the championship winning-goal at 30:03. Sophomore midfielder Ryan Schroy played a through ball ahead to Lynch, who beat Post keeper Andre Lindsay from 25 yards out for his fourth goal of the year.

Philadelphia's junior keeper Neil Kwiatkowski was kept on his toes in the second half, having to make five stops.

Western Washington 3, No. 2 Simon Fraser 0

BELLINGHAM, Wash. -- Tye Hastings and Andrew Weishaar each had a goal and an assist as Western Washington scored three times in the first 14 minutes to stun nationally-ranked Simon Fraser  3-0 on Saturday in a regular-season concluding Great Northwest Conference men's soccer contest at Orca Field on the Whatcom CC campus.

The triumph is the sixth in the last seven games for the Vikings, who conclude the regular season 11-4-3 overall and 9-2-3 in the GNAC and still have a slim chance of earning their first berth in the NCAA Division II tournament.

SFU, ranked No. 2, fell to 15-2-1 overall. The Clan, now 11-2-1 in the GNAC, had already clinched the conference championship.

Charleston 1, No. 4 Notre Dame (Ohio) 0

FAIRMONT, W.Va. -- Augusto Maciel's goal with just two minutes remaining in the second overtime lifted Charleston to the 2013 Mountain East Conference tournament championship.

Maciel took a pass from Pascal Pireddu at the top of the box, broke free from his defender, and blasted his shot into the right side of the net for the sudden victory.

Notre Dame College (15-3) had most of the better chances in the game out-shooting the Golden Eagles 22-8, including 10 shots on goal. However, UC keeper Fabien Veit turned away everything to keep the game tied at 0-0, allowing Maciel the chance for the overtime heroics.

Charleston moved its record to 12-5-1 on the year with the win.

No. 6 Lindenwood 0, Fort Hays State 0 

No. 5 Lindenwood won a thrilling game in a penalty kick shootout against Fort Hays State in the MIAA tournament championship. The Lions won the shootout 6-5 en route to its second consecutive MIAA tournament championship.

The contest was a defense affair from the opening whistle. Neither team would score a goal in regulation or in the two overtimes. The Lindenwood defense was dominant. Fort Hays did not get their first shot on goal until late in the second half. For the game, the Tigers had only two shots.

After the second overtime went by, the game headed into penalty kicks. The first attempt was attempted and made by the Tigers. Mauricio Medina answered for the Lions and it was tied at one goal each. Fort Hays made the second attempt followed by a miss by Guillermo Tabuyo. Fort Hays looked to take control on the next attempt but the shot was missed.

Ignacio Romero then tied up the PKs with a goal. The next three attempts by each team resulted in goals. Then in the seventh round, Fort Hays missed which gave Lindenwood a chance to win. Franz Husbands was the Lions next shooter and he scored the game-winning goal.

The win was the second consecutive MIAA tournament championship.