In Case You Missed It

In Case You Missed It

Don't miss it

soccer-men-d1 flag | November 16, 2013

Virginia rallies late, takes down No. 1 Notre Dame

Men's Soccer, NCAA, Division I, Virginia

GERMANTOWN, Md. -- Virginia rallied from two goals down late in the second half to tie top-ranked Notre Dame 3-3 on Friday night before winning the penalty-kick shootout to advance to the championship of the 2013 ACCchampionship at the Maryland SoccerPlex. The sixth-seeded Cavaliers (10-4-5) scored two goals in the final six minutes of regulation to force extra time before winning the shootout 4-3 against the second-seeded Fighting Irish (12-1-6).

Ranked as high as 10th nationally, Virginia advances to take on Maryland at 2 p.m. Sunday. UVa is seeking its 11th ACC championship and will play for the title for the first time since 2009.

Marcus Salandy-Defour scored a goal and added an assist, while Todd Wharton and Nicko Corriveau also scored goals for the Cavaliers. Virginia goalkeeper Calle Brown picked up four saves and stopped two of five shots in the shootout. Notre Dame keeper Patrick Wall was credited with three saves.

Virginia outshot Notre Dame 15-13 including an 11-5 edge in the second half. UVa took seven corner kicks to six for the Fighting Irish. The Cavaliers were called for 19 fouls, while the Irish were whistled for 13.

Providence 1, No. 7 Georgetown 0

PHILADELPHIA -- The 2013 Big East semifinal round was hosted on Friday at PPL Park. Providence defeated first-seeded and No. 7 Georgetown 1-0. The game was decided by penalty kicks. Red-shirt junior Keasel Broome served as the game changer in the match notching the save that clinched the Friars victory.

After scoreless 90 minutes of play, the night cap was sent to overtime.

In the 94th minute Broome tallied a save to keep the Friars alive. He punched a Georgetown strike just over the crossbar with his right hand. On the other end, Naglestad's strike from the top of the 18 in the 96th minute sailed just wide of the Hoya's goal. The pressure was high in both offensive thirds, but at the end of the first overtime, the score remained 0-0.

Providence paced the tempo of the second overtime period. The Friars generated four shots and moved the ball well in transition. The final strokes of the clock expired and the Big East semifinal match was sent to be decided from the penalty spot.

Broome and Tomas Gomez protected the nets for Providence and Georgetown, respectively. Freshman Mac Steeves was first to shoot for the Friars. Steeves buried his strike to the lower left corner past Gomez. Steve Neumann was first up for Georegtown and placed his strike in the same spot as Steeves to even the PKs at 1-1. Julian Gressel was next to shoot for the Friars and placed a strike chest high to the right side to make the Friars 2-for-2 from the penalty spot. Alex Muyl was second to shoot for the Hoyas and launched his strike over the net, and the Friars took a 2-1 lead. Anthony Baumann was next up for the Friars and his strike to the lower left corner was stopped by Gomez. Brandon Allen evened the PKs at 2-2 with a strike to the upper left corner. Naglestad was next to the penalty spot for Providence and buried his strike to the right corner (3-2). Gabe Padilla landed his strike to the lower right corner to even the PK round at 3-3. Fifth for Providence was Wilder Arboleda who buried his strike to the upper right corner. Fifth for Georgetown was Ted Helfrich whose strike found the back of the net. Thomas Ballenthin stepped up as the sixth shooter for the Friars, he finished his shot to the left side. Georgetown's Joshua Yaro stepped up to the penalty spot as the Hoya's sixth shooter. His strike to the left side was saved by Broome to give the Friars the victory.

Providence returns to action at 12:30 p.m. Sunday when the Friars face the winner of the Marquette and Butler semifinal match-up in the Big East championship game.

No. 8 Akron 3, West Virginia 0

AKRON, Ohio -- Thanks to a pair of goals from Eric Stevenson, Akron cruised to a 3-0 victory against West Virginia in the semifinals of the Mid-American Conference tournament on Friday night at FirstEnergy Stadium – Cub Cadet Field.

The Zips (15-3-1) will play Western Michigan, which defeated Hartwick 1-0 in the first semifinal of the day, for the MAC championship at 1 p.m. Sunday.

In its first postseason match of the season, UA turned in its most dominant performance of the year, out-shooting WVU 22-9 overall and 7-2 on goal. Akron's three goals scored represented a season high.

For Stevenson, it was his second two-goal performance of the fall and third of his career. He gave the Zips a 1-0 lead with just before halftime, then completed the brace in the 66th minute. It was also a big night for freshman Adam Najem, who assisted all three Akron goals. Najem now leads the Zips with eight helpers on the year.

Aodhan Quinn, who was named MAC Player of the Year for 2013 earlier in the day, rounded out the list of goal scorers for Akron. Quinn finished a beautiful combination play that started with quick passes from Najem and Zac Portillos in the 58th minute.


Subscribe To Email Updates

Enter your information to receive emails about offers, promotions from and our partners