Ohio Wesleyan 0, Mary Washington 0



Freshman Margaret Vaccaro hit the clinching penalty kick as Mary Washington advanced to the NCAA Division III sectional championship game by outscoring Ohio Wesleyan in a shootout on Friday at Messiah College in Grantham, Pa.

After the teams battled to a scoreless tie in the sectional semifinal match, it was left to a set of penalty kicks to determine which team would advance to Saturday's sectional final.

Senior midfielder Deborah Lochner (Bexley) converted her kick to give the Bishops a 1-0 lead in the shootout, and freshman goalkeeper Ali Gary (Gahanna/Lincoln) preserved the lead by saving the kick of Mary Washington's Jen Condon.

Junior forward Sarah Wall (Columbus/Upper Arlington) increased the Ohio Wesleyan lead to 2-0 by converting her kick, but Jill Palmieri kept the Eagles in it by converting her try.

Senior defender Toni Frissora (Westerville/South) sent her kick wide left, and Mary Washington's Kathryn Amirpashaie tied the shootout at 2-2 with a successful boot.

Junior forward Alicia Grambeau (Harbor Springs, Mich.) gave the Bishops a 3-2 lead with a successful try, but the Eagles' Amy Kingsbury answered with a successful kick to tie the shootout at 3-3.

Freshman defender Lindsey Macklin (Columbus/Bexley) then missed wide right, and Vaccaro connected on her kick to send Mary Washington on to the sectional championship game.

The Eagles' best chance to score in the first half was a breakaway in last 10 minutes of play, but junior midfielder Kelsey McDonough (Worthington/Thomas Worthington) broke up the play.

Frissora had a golden opportunity inside the Mary Washington penalty area in the final 10 seconds of the first half, but her shot banged off the crossbar.

Mary Washington had a few chances late in the second half. The Eagles had a goal waved off in the final 15 minutes of regulation time when Jacqui Forsythe was offside on the play. Vaccaro had a shot bounce off the post with about 7 minutes left in regulation and Amy Kingsbury's shot with about 5 minutes to go was stopped by Gary.

Both teams threatened in the first overtime. Amirpashaie had a shot from inside the Bishop penalty area go wide midway through the period.

Ohio Wesleyan had a chance with about 2 minutes to play, but Eagle defender Kristina Ashwell blocked a shot by Wall, then blocked a Bishop follow shot. Ohio Wesleyan received a corner kick on the play, but Mary Washington keeper Mary Elizabeth Fulco snagged the ball on the corner and the Eagles were able to clear.

Mary Washington's Betsy Pitti had her spinning shot in the box go wide with about a minute to play.

Sophomore midfielder Julie Steffen (Silver Spring, Md./The Bullis School) had a shot at the end of the first overtime period, but Fulco saved the ball at the horn.

Junior defender Hillary Hughes (Westerville/South) had the Bishops' first chance of the second overtime, but her shot off a corner kick sailed over the crossbar.

Ohio Wesleyan outshot Mary Washington, 20-5. Gary had 3 saves in the Bishop goal, while Fulco had 8 saves for the Eagles.

-- Courtesy Ohio Wesleyan