Boston University 1, U Conn 0 (2OT)

Nov. 10, 2005

STORRS, CONN. - Ashley Chassar scored the game-winning goal with 7:30 remaining in the second over time to propel the Boston University women's soccer team to a 1-0 win over the University of Connecticut in the first round of the NCAA Tournament Thursday night. The Terriers (14-4-4) advance to meet the winner of the Boston College-Dartmouth game Saturday at noon.

After a scoreless first overtime, BU gained control in the UConn end. Freshman Marisha Schumacher-Hodge passed back to Ashley LoCasale, who hit a terrific cross in the goal box. Chassar dove ahead of a pack and headed the ball in far post for the game-winner.

"Far post was all I could do in that situation, the way my body was angled," said Chassar, who scored the first goal of her career. "I didn't even know who fed it to me."

BU won its sixth straight game and advanced to the second round of the NCAA Tournament for the second time in school history. The Terriers are now 12-1-4 in their last 17 games. UConn ended its season 15-5-2.

"We beat a real tough team tonight," said Terrier head coach Nancy Feldman. "We just kept at it and finally broke through. Our team refused to give up tonight."

The teams entered overtime in a scoreless tie, however each team could have won it in regulation. BU had a terrific opportunity to score in the early moments of the second half, firing off four shots in rapid succession. Shulman, Lauren Erwin, Christina Kim and Meghann Cook all had chances to score. Shulman's ball had the best chance of going in, but it was stopped on the back line by the UConn defense. The Huskies had a golden opportunity with 12 minutes left but Katie Radchuck's shot hit the left post and Jessica Diakun's follow was deflected out of bounds by Terrier keeper Christina Reuter. BU had one more opportunity with less than one minute remaining, but Cook's shot was stuffed by onrushing UConn keeper Stephanie Labbe to end the threat.

The teams battled to a scoreless tie at halftime, despite UConn owning a 7-3 edge in shots. The Huskies had the best scoring chance of the half at the 31:57 mark when Brittany Taylor found herself open in front of the goal. Reuter could not scramble back to position in time and Taylor fired a shot which clanked off the left post and was cleared by the Terriers. BU did not have any significant scoring chances in the period.

For the game, the teams each had 15 shots. Reuter made seven saves, while Labbe made four.

-- Courtesy Boston University