Nov. 13, 2009

COLLEGE PARK, Md. - The No. 4-seed University of Maryland women's soccer team advanced to the second round of the 2009 NCAA Tournament with a 4-0 rout of Monmouth Friday night at Ludwig Field.

The Terps upped their record to 13-5-2 on the year, while the Hawks finish their season with a 15-5-1 mark.

"Great win tonight. Great team effort," said Maryland head coach Brian Pensky. "We defended well as a unit, and attacked patience and intelligence. We're excited to move on."

Maryland, which out-shot the Hawks 23-5 for the game, got on the board in the 10th minute for a 1-0 lead. Sophomore forward Jasmyne Spencer was pulled down in the Monmouth box, giving Maryland a penalty kick. Hawk goalkeeper Lia Fierro stopped the PK, but redshirt-sophomore Mallory Baker put in her own rebound for the goal.

Monmouth's lone shot on goal was a good one. Allesandra DeTata ripped a shot from 25 yards out in the 43rd minute, but Maryland's senior goalkeeper Mary Casey made a diving save to send the game to the break 1-0 in favor of the Terps.

As they have done so often this season, Maryland came out in the second half and scored quickly. Freshman Danielle Hubka collected a ball bouncing in the Monmouth 18-yard box and finished into the right side of the net from 10 yards out to boost the Terrapin lead to 2-0 in the 54th minute.

The Terps tied a season high with 10 corner kicks in the match and one of those resulted in Maryland's third goal of the evening. Junior Caitlin McDowell picked up her team-leading sixth assist of the year by sending a corner kick from the left side to the far post. The ball bent around the Hawk defense toward the far post where junior Colleen Deegan got on the end of it and headed it into the upper right 90 for her first goal of the season.

Maryland played all 20 of its available field players in the game and two of the reserves, both freshmen, connected for the Terps' fourth goal. Olivia Wagner sent a through-ball from the middle of the field to Caitlin Mooney, who beat Fierro with a low shot to the right corner in the 84th minute.

The four goals are the most for a Maryland team in an NCAA tournament game since the Terps topped Long Island by a 6-0 margin in the first round of the 1999 NCAA tournament.

Maryland will now play the winner of the Washington State-Villanova game in the second round on Sunday at 1 p.m. at Ludwig Field.