Nov. 14, 2009

DAYTON, Ohio - No. 23 University of Dayton advanced to the second round of the NCAA Women's Soccer Tournament after besting No. 25 Marquette in a penalty kick shootout, 4-3. Dayton and Marquette battled for 110 minutes to a scoreless tie after regulation and two 10 minute overtimes before heading to the shootout in front of 1,083 fans at Baujan Field.

"I am so proud of these girls. They are incredible. They have been incredible all year. We have a great defensive team. That was no different tonight," said UD Head Coach Mike Tucker. "We stood up against a very good team. The whole game was toe to toe. We were just all-around awesome tonight. We had to battle like they did. We have not played a team that has attacked us and put pressure on us as well as they did."

Freshman goalkeeper and Atlantic 10 Defensive Player of the Year Katherine Boone came up big for UD, blocking two Marquette attempts in the shootout.

"Once it got to penalties it was Katherine Boone," said Tucker. "I had a feeling like we were winning. What a poor way to lose though. I know how bad I would feel losing in penalty kicks. I feel badly for friends over there."

Boone blocked the first Marquette attempt, while Kathleen Beljan put Dayton's first attempt away to put the Flyers up 1-0.

""You have to go in there confident and I think that showed," said Boone, who has 13 shutouts to her credit now.

Marquette made their next two PKs, while Lauren MacCormick put hers away to even it at 2-2 going into the fourth round.

Boone dove left to save a low drive by Ashley Bares. Then Kelly Blumenschein hit her shot to put the Flyers up 3-2.

Julia Victor made Marquette's final PK to tie it at 3-3, setting up the dramatic kick by senior Mandi Bäck, that went to the back of the net and sent her teammates into celebrations.

"It was very nerve racking. Katherine made some sweet saves though. It was just crazy. Stepping up there I just told myself to focus, tune everything out. I've done these before," said Bäck. "We practice them all of the time. I had to calm myself down and just act like it was another shot. I knew where I was going to kick it."

The Flyers are now 16-0-6 on the season and won their first NCAA Tournament game since 2001 when UD advanced to the Sweet 16.

The Golden Eagles held a 19-11 shot advantage, but Boone finished the game with a career high 10 saves.

The Flyers, who have played eight overtime matches this season, host Virginia Tech (2-0 winner over Murray State in the first game) in the Second Round of the NCAA Tournament this Sunday, Nov. 15 at 1 p.m. ET at Baujan Field.

"We've got to be ready to play a very, very good team. Once again though, nothing would surprise me with these girls. If anybody I've ever coached can get it done, they can," said Tucker. "What a great game it was tonight. I think people can look forward to seeing another great match on Sunday. Whoever comes out of this bracket is going to certainly be a worthy team to move on; I just want that to be us."