Nov. 14, 2009

St. Louis, Mo. - The No. 17 ranked Washington University in St. Louis women's soccer team advanced to the second round of the NCAA tournament with a 2-1 overtime win against Webster University on Saturday morning at Francis Field in St. Louis, Mo., thanks to a goal by sophomore Emma Brown.

Off of a free kick there was a loose ball just outside the top of the box that rolled to an uncontested Brown. She drilled the ball into the upper corner of the net for her 15th finish of the season as the Washington U. bench poured onto the field to celebrate the victory and the team's advancing to the second round.

"Webster is a very, very dangerous team with some unbelievable goal scorers," said second-year head coach Jim Conlon. "We're just happy to get a win, move on and look forward."

The Bears used a quick start to jump on top just four minutes into the action. Off a broken play the ball ended up on the foot of senior Carter Schwarberg 25-yards from the goal. Schwarberg lofted a shot with her left foot over the head of Webster goalie Shelby Wade. The goal was just the second of Schwarberg's career.

Five minutes later the Bears had another great opportunity off of a corner kick from senior Emily Bylsma. Bylsma sent a cross into the box that found the head of Schwarberg, which drilled the cross bar just missing her second goal of the match.

The Bears had another golden opportunity 18-minutes into the match as freshman Lauren Clatch had a chance inside the box. She tried knocking in a cross but Wade made a phenomenal diving save right before the ball crossed the line keeping the score 1-0 heading into halftime.

The Bears out shot the Gorloks 11-3 in the first half with none of Webster's shots being on goal. Both teams had two corner kicks in the half while Wade finished the 45-minutes with three saves.

There was little action the first 20 minutes of the second half until Kelsey McClure of Webster sent a long ball to Megan Niederschulte. Niederschulte collided with Clatch but got a head on the ball as Washington U. goalie freshman Clara Jaques had pulled out of the net to try and make a play. The header rolled into the goal at the 67-minute mark to tie the score 1-1.

Neither team was able to find the back of the net for the last 23 minutes, sending the match to overtime. Each team had corner kicks with less than five minutes left, featuring good opportunities but failure to score. The Bears out shot the Gorloks 20-7 in regulation, and 8-3 in shots on goal.

Less than a minute into the first overtime Brown streaked through the Webster defense and put a shot just wide, by far the best chance on either side in overtime until her goal at the 94:56 mark. The Bears finished the game with 23 shots while Webster had just seven. Wade finished the game with seven saves.

The Bears move onto the second round Sunday at 1 p.m. at Francis Field in St. Louis, Mo., taking on the winner of Carroll University and Illinois Wesleyan University.