Aug. 20, 2010

Courtesy Of Wake Forest

WILMINGTON, N.C. - The 10th-ranked Wake Forest women's soccer team got its season off to a hot start with a 4-0 win over UNC Wilmington on Friday at UNCW Soccer Stadium.

The Demon Deacons won their season opener for the third straight year and improve to a perfect 6-0 all-time against the Seahawks.

Jordan Feger scored the first goal for the Deacs, with freshmen forwards Katie Stengel and Rachel Nuzzolese both scoring their first collegiate goals in their first game wearing the old gold and black. Nuzzolese finished with 12 shots, two shy of the school record of 14.

Casey Luckhurst got the final Deacon goal in the 73rd minute after she headed a rebound from a Nuzzolese shot into an open net.

Freshman goalkeeper Aubrey Bledsoe recorded a shutout in her first collegiate appearance, making four saves.

Overall, the Deacons outshot the Seahawks 27 to five and put 13 shots on frame compared to only four for UNCW.

No player had more than one shot for UNC Wilmington. Chandler Follet played the full 90 minutes in net for the Seahawks, making eight saves.

Rachel Nuzzolese unleashed a shot in the second minute that Follett pushed just wide. Off the ensuing corner, Alisha Woodson had a close-range effort that was also saved.

In the 12th minute, Wilmington's Stephanie Rose got past the Deacon defense and unleashed a shot that was comfortably handled by Audrey Bledsoe.

Wilmington appeared to have scored the first goal in the 18th minute but it was disallowed for a Seahawk foul during the play. The Seahawks missed another scoring chance two minutes later when Erin Pardini put a shot off the crossbar.

In the 31st minute, Katie Stengel dribbled the ball down the end line and had a shot blocked. Rachel Nuzzolese pushed the rebound wide to the right. A minute later, Marisa Park played a cross on the ground into the middle of the box that Nuzzolese shot over the crossbar.

Jordan Feger scored the first goal of the game for the Deacons in the 37th minute after she got on the end of a long shot from Katie Stengel and deflected the ball past a sprawing defender and the Seahawk goalkeeper.

A nice passing sequence from Bianca D'Agostino and Jackie Logue in the 44th minute led to a good scoring opportunity for Nuzzolese, but she ripped the shot wide right.

Marisa Park put a hard shot on net in the 54th minute that Follett barely got a hand on to make the save.

Rachel Nuzzolese got Wake Forest's second goal in the 55th minute when she took a pass from Logue and finessed it over the keeper and into the net.

Katie Stengel placed a free kick into the right side netting from a sharp angle to put Wake Forest ahead 3-0 in the 62nd minute.

Rachel Nuzzolese put a shot off the crossbar in the 73rd minute, but Casey Luckhurst was there to head the rebound into the open goal to give Wake Forest a 4-0 lead.

The Demon Deacons return to Winston-Salem to take on UNC Greensboro in their home opener on Monday Aug. 23 at 7 p.m at Spry Stadium. Wake Forest will then travel to face ECU on Aug. 27 at 7 p.m.