Nov. 12, 2010

Courtesy of UNC

CHAPEL HILL, N.C. - The third-ranked North Carolina Tar Heels were powered by a goal and two assists from senior midfielder Meghan Klingenberg as the Tar Heels defeated Jackson State 5-0 in the first round of the 2010 NCAA Division I Women's Soccer Championship Friday night before 1,000 fans at Fetzer Field. With the victory, North Carolina advances to the second round of the NCAA Tournament Sunday to meet either Texas or James Madison, who played in the second first-round game at Fetzer Field Friday night.

The Tar Heels improved to 18-2-2 on the season while the Southwestern Athletic Conference champion Tigers, making their first NCAA Tournament appearance, saw their season end at 13-7-1.

North Carolina had five different goal scorers in the game including Rebecca Crabb's first career goal and a team-leading 14th goal by Kealia Ohai. The Tar Heels outshot the Tigers 30-1 and had a 16-0 edge in corner kicks. UNC scored two first-half goals off corner kicks.

The Tar Heels got on the board just 2:57 into the match as freshman forward Crystal Dunn scored her sixth goal of the season off an assist by Klingenberg. The senior midfielder took a shot in the box that was smothered by Jackson State goalkeeper Allison Lane but Dunn pounced on the rebound at the 10-yard line and sent a strong strike into the back of the frame. It would be one of Lane's few faux pas of the night at the JSU keeper made 13 saves while allowing only five goals.

The game settled into a predictable rhythm after UNC's initial goal but UNC head coach Anson Dorrance made a slew of substitutions midway through the first half and the reserves stepped up with a pair of goals less than two minutes apart. At 26:36, senior Ali Hawkins made it 2-0 as she scored her second goal of the season on a header off a corner kick. Katie Klimczak served a corner kick into the box where defender Rachel Wood nodded it on to Hawkins who buried her header into the bottom left corner.

It took just 1:25 for the Tar Heels to make it 3-0. The goal again came off a corner kick and it was sophomore Rebecca Crabb's first goal of her career. Meghan Klingenberg took a corner kick from the left side the Katie Klimczak redirected from the far post back across the frame. Crabb was there waiting to redirect the bouncing ball off the post and into the goal.

The Tar Heels went into the half ahead 3-0 and then added to their lead in the second half. Less than 10 minutes into the second half, UNC's Amber Brooks fed a ball through the midfield to Kealia Ohai. The freshman forward took it in stride just outside the 18-yard box and struck a ball on a rope into the upper right corner for her 14th goal of the season. The goal came at 54:06 of the match.

UNC finished off the scoring at 58:33 as Meghan Klingenberg tallied her sixth goal of the season. The goal came on a give-and-go between Klingenberg and freshman Elizabeth Burchenal. Klingenberg fed a ball to the end line that Burchenal ran on to. She saved it from going out of bounds and then fed Klingenberg about 18 yards out front on the left side. Klingenberg chipped the keeper to finish off the scoring play.

Coach Anson Dorrance substituted liberally, playing 21 of the 22 players on the roster a minimum of 31 minutes each. Hannah Daly made one save and played the first 55:31 for the Tar Heels in goal. Adelaide Gay played the final 34:29 of the game and faced no shots. Allison Lane made 13 saves and allowed five goals in 90 minutes of play for the Tigers.

UNC improves to 107-7-1 in NCAA Tournament games and remains undefeated in NCAA Tournament first round matches.