Nov. 12, 2010

Courtesy of Wake Forest

- Katie Stengel scored her 16th goal of the season and Aubrey Bledsoe made three saves to record her third shutout of the year as the fourth-seeded Wake Forest women's soccer team edged San Diego 1-0 in the first round of the NCAA tournament on Friday evening at Anteater Stadium in Irvine, Calif.

The Deacons (13-7-3) will take on the winner of tonight's match between UC Irvine and Arizona State at Anteater Stadium on Sunday at 2 p.m. PST. Wake Forest has never faced either the Anteaters or the Sun Devils. An interactive live blog of the match will be available on

Wake Forest is through to the second round of the tournament for the fifth consecutive year. Last season, the Deacs made it to the quarterfinals for the first time in school history.

The two teams played a tight game with the only score coming off of a set piece in the 65th minute. Stengel lined up over the ball about 21 yards from goal in the center of the field and blasted a shot that Torero goalkeeper Courtney Parsons got a hand on but could not keep out of the net.

The Wake Forest defense was the story of the day as the Deacons were able to contain San Diego's prolific scorer Stephanie Ochs to record their fourth clean sheet of the year. It was the first time this season that the Deacs earned a win when scoring only one goal.

Bledsoe made three saves, including a key stop on Jackie Zinske in the 89th minute to help Wake hold on to the win. She improves to 13-7-3 on the year.

Parsons took the loss in goal for the Toreros, making three saves, but falling to 11-8-2 this season.

Kristen Meier had the best chance of the first half in the 19th minute, when she took a through ball from D'Agostino and got past the Torero defense, before her shot was saved by a diving Hickerson.

San Diego also had its chances in the opening period, including a couple of occasions where a Torero player just missed getting onto the end of a cross in the box.

Stengel had a good chance in the 55th minute when she took a low shot that looked headed for the right side of the net but a diving Parsons just got a hand on it to make the save.

Ten minutes later, the Deacs put home the only score of the match. San Diego was called for a hand ball at the top of the penalty area giving Wake Forest a free kick. Stengel lined up behind the ball and blasted a shot that Parsons got a hand on but could not keep out of the net to give Wake a 1-0 lead.

Stengel almost put Wake up 2-0 in the 79th minute when she came free in a dangerous position in the box, but she scuffed her shot wide of the net.

The Toreros pressed for the equalizer as time wore down and had a free kick in a dangerous position with under a minute left, but the Wake Forest defense cleared the ball away to preserve the 1-0 win.