Nov. 12, 2010

Courtesy of Portland Athletics

PORTLAND, Ore. - The No. 1 seeded Portland Pilots scored four goals in the first 29 minutes and freshman forward Amanda Frisbie recorded a second half hat trick en route to a 9-0 victory over the UT-San Antonio Roadrunners in the first round of the NCAA Women's Soccer Championships Friday night at Merlo Field. A crowd of 3,177 came out to witness the action through a thick night fog and were treated to lots of goals.

The Pilots will move on to the second round and face Northwest rival Washington, who advanced with a 4-0 win over Oklahoma in Friday's early game. Kickoff is scheduled for Sunday at 1 p.m. at Merlo Field.

Portland (19-1-1) was able to rest its starters after jumping all over the visiting Roadrunners (13-8-2), who made the first NCAA tournament appearance in school history in just their fifth year of existence. Sophomore Kendall Johnson opened the scoring in the ninth minute on an assist from Sophie Schmidt.

Schmidt, who made her return to the Pilots lineup after helping the Canadian National Team win the CONCACAF World Cup Qualifying Tournament on Monday, put the Pilots up 2-0 in the 11th minute. Sophomore Taylor Brooke scored in the 26th minute and junior Danielle Foxhoven capped the first half scoring three minutes later.

Portland's bench continued the scoring trend in the second half led by Frisbie, a native Texan. She scored her first goal less than two minutes into the run of play, added a second in the 67th minute, and logged her first career hat trick in the 75th minute to conclude the scoring. Halley Kreminski and Ellen Parker also tallied second half goals for the Pilots.

Portland gained a 26-3 edge in shots for the match and 4-2 margin in corner kicks. UTSA starting goalkeeper Dacia Webb was solid despite the goals allowed, making eight saves in 67 minutes of work. Portland goalkeepers Hailee DeYoung and Erin Dees each played a half in securing the shutout for Portland.

The Pilots and Washington met earlier this season at Merlo Field with the home team winning by a 2-1 margin in double overtime. Sophie Schmidt buried a penalty kick with 63 seconds remaining to give Portland the win. Frisbie scored her first collegiate goal earlier in the match, which took place on Oct. 3.