Nov. 13, 2010

Courtesy of Williams Athletics

WALTHAM, Mass. -
With three second half goals, Williams women's soccer gained its first NCAA tournament victory of the year. Led by goals from Brett Eisenhart, Sara Wild, and Kristine Nakada, the Ephs (13-3-2/ 5-2-2 NESCAC) beat Lasell (14-4-3/ 8-2-2 GNAC) 3-0 in the first round of the NCAA tournament. The game was played at Brandeis. The win moves the Eph seniors to 7-3 all time in the NCAA tournament.

The first half passed uneventfully. The Ephs had ten shots in the half. Lasell recorded two shots of its own, but neither was on goal. Senior Julia Schreiber started in net for the Ephs.

The second half started uneventfully as well. In the 69th minute, though, Eisenhart struck with her 12th goal of the season. The ball just trickled over the end line to give the Ephs the 1-0 lead. Eisenhart led the offense on the day with five shots, including four on goal.

Just under two minutes later, Wild added a goal. After receiving a beautiful cross from Bridget Gallagher, she one-touched the ball into the net. Wild is tied with Eisenhart in points this season; they lead team with 25 apiece. Including today, the NESCAC Player of the Year has scored in the Ephs' last three games including the NESCAC semi-final and championship.

With just under seven minutes to play, the Ephs struck again. Nakada received a pass from freshman Hayley Cook and found the back of the net to give the Ephs the final goal. It was Nakada's third goal of the year. All five of Cook's points this season have come on assists.

In the defensive end for the Ephs, sophomore Laura Wann minded the net in the second half. She had two saves in the half. The only two players to play the full 90 minutes for the Ephs were defensive midfielder Kara Duggan and back Anne Marie Burke. It looked as if those two seniors - along with the seven others - were not ready for their seasons to end quite yet.

Said Coach Michelyne Pinard after the game, "The game was tough in the first half with so many numbers behind the ball for Lasell. I thought we did a good job wearing them down so that there were holes in the second half. We're excited to have another day!" The Ephs continue in the tournament tomorrow against the winner of the Brandeis and Castleton State College. The game was tied at 1-1 at halftime. Regardless of the outcome, the game will take place at 1:00 tomorrow at Brandeis.