Nov. 13, 2010

Courtesy of Stevens Athletics

Freshman Jessie Wos tapped in the game-winner in the 75th minute to propel the Stevens Institute of Technology womens soccer team to a thrilling, 2-1, come-from-behind victory over William Paterson in the opening round of the NCAA Tournament hosted by Dickinson College. With the win, the Ducks - now 17-3-1 overall on the season - advance to face the host Red Devils in a second round match-up scheduled for 1 p.m. on Sunday, November 14.

Just 2:31 into the match, senior back Ali Ruddy (Wayne, N.J.) nearly put Pioneers on top, sending a free-kick from 30-yards out off the crossbar. Minutes later sophomore midfielder Laela Brock (Paramus, N.J.) tested Ducks junior goalkeeper Kaitlin McClymont after a run down the right side, but the Stevens netminder smothered the try to keep it scoreless.

Pushing forward into the attacking third, freshman Becky Wos notched the Ducks first shot in the 13th minute. Moments later, fellow freshman Caitlin Labonte and senior Mary Chew tallied back-to-back shots, but neither could put it on net to put the Ducks ahead.

Late in the 26th minute William Paterson junior forward Megan Droelle (Hampton, N.J.) drew a foul on the left-side of the Stevens box, setting up a penalty kick. Ruddy would then step in, burying the try into the Ducks net to give the Pioneers a 1-0 advantage at 26:09.

Looking for a quick equalizer just after the 30-minute mark, junior Kathleen Schuckers made a nice move down the right-side of the pitch before sending a pass across the face of the goal toward Chew, but the West Deptford, N.J. native couldnt get a foot on the cross to send it toward net as the Pioneers clung to a 1-0 margin.

Hoping to extend their lead, Ruddy and Marabondo would again go on the offensive later in the half, with the duo each hitting the crossbar on shots less than a minute apart, but both balls bounced back into play as the teams headed into the break still just a goal apart.

Just over two minutes into the second stanza, a streaking Brigette Barden got pulled down in the middle of the box, giving the Ducks a golden opportunity to knot the game. Becky Wos stepped in to take the kick, but pushed the ensuing try just over the crossbar.

Determined to tie things up the Ducks continued to go on the offensive, finally notching the game-tying marker at 62:12 on Schuckers tenth goal of the season. Handling the ball on the far left-side of the field, Chew sent a ball across the face of the goal to Schuckers on the right side of the box. The junior forward would take a couple of dribbles toward the middle of the 18, settling the ball before firing a low tracer into the back left corner of the Pioneers net.

Searching for a go-ahead tally in the 75th minute, senior Kara Pepe found herself alone on the left-side of the box, making a quick move around a Pioneer defender before firing a shot at freshman goalkeeper Alyssa Falduto (Nutley, N.J.) who made a nice save to preserve the tie.

Less than a minute later, Labonte sent a pass over the William Paterson backline, finding a racing Schuckers on the right side. The junior would cut back towards the middle, patiently looking for a hole in the Pioneer defense before sending a pass toward the backpost to Jessie Wos who tapped the game-winner into the corner of the William Paterson goal.

With less than five minutes left in regulation, Ruddy sent a through-ball to the right side of the pitch towards Marabondo. The William Paterson forward would elude a pair of Stevens defenders, sending a low shot that veered wide of the Stevens net. Droelle put one final chance on net in the closing minutes, but McClymont made the stop to seal the Ducks win