Nov. 12, 2010

Courtesy of American Int'l Athletics

Freshman forward Bailey Robinson (Pittsfield, N.Y.) scored each of the Yellow Jackets' first two goals as the American International College women's soccer team posted a 3-0 win over Georgian Court University in the first round of the NCAA Championship Tournament at C.W. Post.

The third-seeded Yellow Jackets improved to 14-6-1 for the season with the programs first-ever NCAA Championship Tournament win. AIC is just one victory shy of tying the school record for wins in a season (15), which was set in 1998 when AIC made its first and only NCAA postseason appearance prior to this year. The sixth-seeded Lion finished the season at 11-9-2.

Robinson opened the scoring just 2:55 into the game when she hit a laser of a shot from 24 yards out that was just inside the top-right corner to give the Yellow Jackets an early 1-0 lead. That marker was also the first goal also marked the first-ever goal scored by an AIC player in the NCAA Championship Tournament.

Robinson struck again 18:29 into the match when she hammered home a shot from 16 yards out off a thru ball from sophomore midfielder Devan Boundy (Avon, Conn.).

We were definitely looking to score early,” said Robinson of her two-goal performance. The defender stepped to Devan both times and she found me square, and I just tried to keep the shot on goal,” she continued.

We've been working with Bailey all year to keep her shots down and on the net, and obviously her hard work paid off today,” commented AIC head coach Matt Johnson.

Freshman forward Caroline Boyce (Canterbury, N.H.) scored her third goal in three games 1:07 into the second half to cap the scoring. AIC had tremendous pressure to start the period with three shots on goal in the first minute and Boyce banged home the rebound off a shot from freshman forward Hilary Baker (Rome, N.Y.).

Coming in, we had momentum from playing in the conference tournament and we were of course looking for another upset,” commented Lions' head coach James Moore. However, giving up two early goals set a negative tone and had us playing from behind.”

Johnson agreed. We told the girls the longer they allowed Georgian Court to hang around, the better chance Georgian would have to win. We definitely looked to put a couple balls in the net early. We say that a lot and it doesn't always happen, but it happened today,” he said.

Graduate keeper Kara Potts (Westfield, Mass.) needed to make just three saves to earn the win and the shutout in net for the Yellow Jackets, both a first for the program. Junior keeper Shealyn Sullivan (Buffalo, N.Y.) had seven stops in taking the loss for Georgian Court.

The Yellow Jackets outshot the Lions 14-7 in the game, while each team was awarded two corner kicks. AIC was whistled for a four 14 times in the game, while Georgian Court was called for a foul six times.

The Yellow Jackets will next face second-seeded C.W. Post Sunday at 1 p.m. in the second round of the NCAA Championship Tournament. AIC won the only meeting between the two teams this season 2-1 in overtime back on September 4 at the AIC Women's Soccer Classic.