KNOXVILLE, Tenn. – Ohio State defeated Tennessee 3-0 in the opening round of the NCAA tournament Saturday afternoon at Regal Stadium.

With the win, Ohio State (11-8-2) advances to face the Illinois St./Milwaukee winner next weekend at a site to be determined.

Ohio State took the early 1-0 lead when Tiffany Cameron scored her team-leading seventh goal of the season in the ninth minute. Kendyl Reed tracked down a long ball down the right side and played a cross through the box where Cameron beat Tennessee goalkeeper Julie Eckel near post from 10 yards out.

“For a team that’s struggled to find the back of the net, it was critical for us to have Tiffany find the back of the net,” head coach Lori Walker said. “I think we have known all along that we are a quality team but soccer’s a cruel game and sometimes you don’t always get the results. The time off was good for us and hopefully we can continue this run.”

The Buckeyes had a great chance a few minutes later when Lauren Granberg drilled a header off a corner by Megan Fuller but Eckel came up with the save. Cameron and Paige Maxwell followed with shots off rebounds but both were deflected wide by Tennessee defenders.

Chelsy Swackhamer almost put the Buckeyes up 2-0 in the 38th minute when she drilled a volley off a long ball from Aly Walker but Eckel was able to make a leaping save. Less than two minutes later, Cameron tracked down a long ball from Danica Wu on the left side and beat a Tennessee defender with a run parallel to the end line but her shot sailed wide right.

Ohio State held an 11-6 advantage in shots in the first half, including 5-2 on goal. The Lady Vols recorded three corner kicks to two for the Buckeyes.

The Buckeyes’ first good chance of the second half came in the 65th minute when Cameron played a beautiful cross to Caitlyn Martin at the back post but her header barely missed wide left.

Kristen Niederhaus then gave the Buckeyes an insurance tally in the 68th minute, controlling a loose ball in the box after Martin had headed a Fuller corner kick, then finishing in traffic from 10 yards out.

Tiffany Cameron then added to the Ohio State lead six minutes later with her second goal of the game and eighth of the season. Fuller played a short corner to Wu, who made a low cross to an open Cameron who finished from six yards out.

“We knew that one goal is never enough,” Cameron said. “I had the mentality in training this week that I had to find the net. I have struggled a bit this year but I knew it was time to step up.”

For the game, Ohio State held a 20-10 advantage in shots, including 9-3 on goal. Goalkeeper Katie Baumgardner made three saves to pick up her seventh shutout of the season and fourth shutout in six NCAA tournament contests.

The Buckeyes and Lady Vols squared off only once before Saturday, a 1-0 Ohio State win in the NCAA round of 16 in 2004.