BRIDGEPORT, Conn. -- For the second time in three days, UMass-Lowell advanced to the next round of the NCAA tournament by winning a penalty kick shootout as UMass-Lowell topped Bridgeport 3-2 in the shootout after the two teams battle to a 1-1 draw through two overtimes. 

Bridgeport ends the 2011 season with a 16-0-3 mark, and the River Hawks move on in the NCAA tournament with an 11-5-4 mark. On Friday, UMass-Lowell advanced on penalty kicks (5-3) after playing a 0-0 tie with Dowling.

In the shootout, Bridgeport’s Marie Pettersson took the first shot and beat UMass-Lowell keeper Jane Hatzikonstantis. River Hawk junior Taylor Hartman responded by beating Bridgeport goalkeeper Julia Hansson to keep things level after one round. In the second round, Bridgeport’s Kasey Kenny has stopped by Hatzikonstantis, but UMass-Lowell Maddy Bissaillon missed the target to keep things at 1-1. 

Round three began with a miss by the Purple Knights’ Katie Stanley, and then Brittany Russo gave UMass-Lowell a 2-1 lead when her shot hit the left post and trickled back across the goal line.

Freshman Jenny Hwang tied things for Bridgeport at 2-2 to start the fourth round before UMass-Lowell’s Casey Schulze forced Bridgeport into a must-make kick to start the fifth round when she found the back of the net to make the shootout score, 3-2.

Unfortunately for Bridgeport fans, junior Julia Colley missed the target to send UMass-Lowell into the next round of NCAA Championship play where it will face St. Rose.

The River Hawks dominated the first half of play holding a 16-5 advantage in shots, but the game was tied 0-0 at the half as Bridgeport keeper Hansson made six of her game total of 10 saves in the first 45 minutes.

UMass-Lowell’s Brittany Russo scored her 10th goal of the season to give the River Hawks a 1-0 lead in the 65th minute when her long shot just slipped under Hansson’s grasp. The goal marked the first time all season that Bridgeport has trailed in a match.

Bridgeport battled back to tie things at 1-1, as junior Becky Wallis scored her first goal of the season with 5:20 to play in regulation when she poked home a free kick taken by Marie Pettersson after a scramble in the middle of the goal box.

Along with her fine play in the shootout, UMass-Lowell’s goalkeeper Hatzikonstantis made three saves.