ST. LOUIS, Mo. -- Wisconsin-Oshkosh defeated Ohio Wesleyan on penalty kicks 2-1 after the teams played to a scoreless tie in a first-round game of the NCAA tournament on Saturday.

Kelsey Spaith gave the Titans a 1-0 lead in the shootout by converting her first kick, but senior midfielder Belle Madison found the back of the net to even matters at 1 apiece.

Nikki Reed hit the top left corner for a 2-1 UW-Oshkosh lead, and that would turn out to be the last successful kick, as Titan keeper Brittany Walder preserved the 2-1 lead by saving the drive of junior defender Devon Bradley.

Sophomore goalkeeper Hannah Zacharias kept the Bishops within striking distance by deflecting the drive of Nicole Strieker off the left post and out of the goal.

Sophomore midfielder Elizabeth Riggio stepped to the spot with a chance to tie the shootout, but Walder guessed correctly and saved the kick.

That sequence repeated itself, with Zacharias making a save on Chelsea Kierszh to keep the shootout close, but Walder responding with a save on junior midfielder Jessie Huschart.

The Titans had a chance to end the shootout on their final kick, but Katie Behrens' drive hit the crossbar and went high, opening the door for the Bishops to send the shootout to a second set of kicks. Senior forward Makinzie Krebsbach went lower left with her kick, but Walder guessed correctly and made the save to send the Titans on to face host Washington (Mo.) tomorrow in the second round.

Each team had 7 shots during regulation time, with Zacharias making 2 saves and Walder making 3, including a pair of shots by Huschart during the second half.

Ohio Wesleyan had the edge during the first overtime, firing 3 shots during the period, with Bradley putting a shot on net during the final minute of the period only to see Walder come up with the save.

Wisconsin-Oshkosh turned the tide with 3 shots during the second overtime, and it was Zacharias who kept the game going with a big save near the right post in the 109th minute.

Both teams finished with 11 shots. Zacharias finished with 3 saves, while Walder was credited with 4 saves.