GENEVA, N.Y. – After 110 minutes of scoreless soccer between Cortland and William Smith, the Red Dragons won a penalty-kick shootout 5-4 to advance to the third round of the NCAA Div. III Women's Soccer Championship on Sunday afternoon at William Smith's Cozzens Field. Cortland will face Brandeis.

Sophomore goalie Taylor Hudson made nine saves for the Red Dragons (12-4-6) in posting her eighth shutout of the season. Her counterpart for William Smith (14-2-4), Chelsea Dunay, registered two saves.

In the first half, the Herons generated the initial scoring chance, but Whitney Frary's header off a serve from the right side barely went wide of the right post. Cortland's best opportunity in the first 45 minutes came two minutes before intermission. Junior Samantha Gardner sent a long shot toward goal that bounced over Dunay and just over the crossbar.

The best chance in the second half belonged to the Red Dragons in the 59th minute. Freshman Jessica McFadden received a long outlet pass near midfield and broke through three William Smith defenders. One-on-one with Dunay, McFadden sent a shot toward the right side where Dunay made a diving save that sent the ball wide of the post and over the end line.

The Herons carried much of the play in the overtime periods. In the 93rd minute, Hudson made a save on Renee Jensen's spinning shot from the top of the box. With 17 seconds remaining in the first extra session, Mary Claire Pelletier put a 25-yard shot on goal that Hudson denied.

Less than two minutes into the second overtime, Madeline Buckley had William Smith's best opportunity to secure the win. Alone on the right side of the box, her shot from 10 yards narrowly missed the upper right corner of the goal. Frary then had one more chance in the 109th minute, but Hudson turned aside her bid from 12 yards out to force the penalty-kick shootout to determine which team advanced.

The Herons went first in the shootout with Frary scoring. Sophomore Amanda Margolis answered for Cortland. Hudson made a diving save to her left on Kathryn Busa's attempt, and senior Stacey Wood put Cortland up, 2-1, with a shot into the upper right. Pelletier, Cortland junior Kelly Knight, William Smith's Nicki Johnson and Cortland senior Jenn Fox traded the next four goals and Cortland led 4-3 with one attempt remaining for each team. Jensen converted for the Herons, and Parker sealed the shootout victory with a hard shot into the left of the goal to send Cortland into the third round for the second consecutive season.