soccer-women-d3 flag

TCNJ Athletics | November 16, 2013

TCNJ, RIT move on

EWING, N.J. -- TCNJ and Rochester Institute moved into the second round of the Division III championship with the Lions posting a 2-0 victory against Penn State-Berks, while the Tigers advanced on penalty kicks versus MIT.

TCNJ scored a pair of goals in the second half to improve to 17-2-2 on the season, while the Nittany Lions, who were making their first appearance in the tournament, capped their year at 15-4-1.

RIT and MIT fought their way through 110 minutes of scoreless soccer to finish in a tie, but the Tigers made four of their five penalty kick attempts to advance into the second round, 4-3. RIT is 12-4-4 on the season, while the Engineers see their season come to a close at 13-2-6.

The Lions and RIT will meet in the second round at 1:30 p.m. Sunday The Lions are making their 23rd consecutive appearance in the tournament the Tigers will play in the second round for the first time in program history. It will also be the first meeting between the two schools.

TCNJ 2, Penn State-Berks 0

The host Lions moved into the second round scoring a pair of goals in the second half. The first of those scores
came 2:21 into the period as junior Korrie Harkins touched a short pass to a freshman Sarah Marion ripped a shot just under the cross bar putting the hosts in front 1-0.

TCNJ tacked on an insurance goal with 2:35 left in the game as freshman Christine Levering tallied her team-leading 11th goal of the season. That goal came on an assist from senior Katie Lindacher.

The teams battled through a scoreless first half with the Lions getting the best chance just more than 15 minutes into the period. Junior defender Lori Genovesi stepped up and laced a shot just over the cross bar.

TCNJ keeper Kendra Griffith made two saves for her 50th career win. Nittany Lion goalie Savannah Cramer had six saves.

Rochester Institute 0, MIT 0 (RIT advances on penalty kicks, 4-3)

The Tigers and Engineers finished in a scoreless tie, but RIT earned the right to move on via penalty kicks 4-3.

Tiger goalie Amanda Murray made saves on two of the first three Engineer attempts and Ehlana Gray made the deciding penalty kick in the fifth round setting up the match-up with TCNJ.

The teams were defensive-minded in the first half as they combined for only three shots. The best chance came in later stages of the period when the Tigers had a direct kick from the near side that Liz May served into the MIT area, but the Engineer defense cleared the ball out of harm's way.

In the second half, each team had a chance late in the game with MIT's Ambika Krishnamacher shot from the far wing being hauled in by Murray, while the Tigers had a chance with two minutes left, but Shelby Vakiener headed a shot wide.

RIT had the best opportunity to win the game in the second overtime when Gray got off a good shot from the near side from inside the MIT penalty area that keeper Lauren Ullman reached up and made the save. Ullman finished that overtime with two of her six saves. Murray finished with two saves for RIT.