William Smith 1, No. 1 Messiah 0

GENEVA, N.Y. -- William Smith scored in the 31st minute to secure a 1-0 victory against top-ranked and defending national champions Messiah. It is the first time in program history that the Herons have defeated the Falcons.

William Smith and Messiah have now met six times including three national-semifinal matchups. The previous two regular-season meetings between the Herons and the Falcons resulted in double-overtime ties (1-1 in 2012 and 0-0 in 2011).

William Smith improves to 2-1-0 this season, while Messiah falls to 2-2-0. It is the first time the Falcons have lost back-to-back matches since 1999 when Messiah dropped consecutive decisions to Johns Hopkins and Richard Stockton.

The Herons almost broke through in the 15th minute. Junior Krista Longo beat her Falcon defender and carried the ball into the box. Her shot was blocked by another Messiah defender and deflected out of bounds, earning William Smith its first corner of the match.

In the 31st minute, junior MaryClaire Pelletier carried the ball into the box and was fighting to get around two Messiah defenders. She earned the Herons their second corner of the match. First-year Emma Diehl lofted the ball into the box, finding sophomore Zoe Eth, who redirected it into the goal with a header. It was Eth’s first goal this season and Diehl’s first collegiate point.

In the second half, the Falcons held more of the momentum, but the Heron defense held its own. Messiah came close to tying things up in the 58th minute. The Falcons were awarded a free kick just outside of the box and Alicia Frey drilled a hard shot on cage, but goalkeeper Chelsea Dunay was there to make the save and keep William Smith on top. She finished with five saves to earn her first shutout of the season.

Messiah held an 11-5 advantage in total shots and a 5-3 lead in shots on goal. The Falcons earned five corners, while the Herons had three. Audra Larson played all 90 minutes in goal for Messiah and earned three saves.

No. 9 Ithaca 2, No. 2 Emory 0

ITHACA, N.Y. -- Ninth-ranked Ithaca handed No. 2 Emory a rare setback on Saturday with a 2-0 win against the Eagles.

The loss was the first of the season for the Eagles, who dropped to 2-1-0 on the campaign. Ithaca raised its season ledger to 3-0-0 with the win.

Emory had the early momentum in the contest, taking the first three shots of the game, but the tide quickly turned in the Bombers' favor in the 15th minute, when Ithaca's Kelsey King scored her third goal of the season off an assist from Meredith Jones to give her squad a 1-0 lead.

Ithaca added to its lead with a second goal late in the first half, as Jess Demczar scored her first of the season in the 43rd minute to give the Bombers a 2-0 advantage heading into halftime.

Emory's defense played a stronger second half in front of sophomore keeper Liz Arnold, who played the final 45 scoreless minutes of action and made one save. However, Ithaca, which finished the 2012 season ranked third in team goals-against average, held the Eagles off the board as well, and preserved the 2-0 shutout victory.

Junior starting goalkeeper Gabrielle Pelura took the loss, falling to 1-1-0 on the season, while Beth Coppolecchia earned the shutout win in the net for Ithaca, improving to 3-0-0.

Despite taking the loss, Emory finished even with Ithaca in shots, with each team registering 11 apiece. Emory managed a pair of shots on goal, while the Bombers placed four on frame, including the two goals. Seniors Clare Mullins and Kelly Costopoulos and freshman Emily Matis each had a pair of shots during the game.

The loss was just the Emory's second regular-season setback in the past three years, and the team's first regular-season loss to a non-conference opponent in its previous 36 such games, dating back to a 2-1 loss to Berry College on Oct. 22, 2009.

No. 3 Wheaton (Ill.) 3, Macalester 1

ST. PAUL, Minn. -- Wheaton (Ill.), ranked third in this week's NSCAA rankings, earned a 3-1 victory at Macalester on Saturday night. Wheaton earned two wins this weekend on its two-match trip to Minnesota.

Ally Witt gave Wheaton a 1-0 lead when she scored on a header just 15:56 into the match. Witt's goal was the result of a double-assist from Sydney Sharkey and Bailey Wysocki. Wheaton remained a 1-0 leader at halftime of the match.

Macalester's Bonnie Gale scored at the 55:09 mark of the match to tie the contest at 1-1. Bailey Wysocki gave Wheaton a 2-1 lead when she scored on an assist by Witt at the 81:41 mark of the contest. Witt secured the win for the Thunder when she netted her second goal of the night in the final two minutes of the match, thanks to an Annie Wooldridge assist.

Wheaton out-shot the Scots 20-14 and the Thunder had a 10-3 edge in corner kicks. Wheaton goalkeeper Kelsey Graham made four saves and allowed one goal in 90 minutes of action. Macalester goalkeeper Ellen Palmquist made four saves and allowed three goals in the hosts' net.

No. 4 Washington (Mo.) 7, DePauw 0

ST. LOUIS -- No. 4 Washington (Mo.) broke open a one-goal halftime lead with six goals in the second half en route to a 7-0 win against DePauw Saturday afternoon at Francis Field.

Sophomore goalkeeper Amy French picked up her third consecutive shutout in goal facing just two shots. The Bears out-shot DePauw 48-2 and had an 11-0 advantage in corner kicks.

Washington outshot DePauw 21-1 in the opening half, with 13 shots on goal. The Bears found the net just once in the opening half as senior Becky Berels one-timed a cross from junior Lillie Toaspern into the back of the net at 18:42. The goal for Berels was her second of the season.

The Bears scored three goals in a span of eight minutes early in the second half to break open the contest. Toaspern, sophomore Olivia Lillegraven and senior Jessica Johnson each scored for Washington as the Bears went up 4-0 just 11 minutes into the second half. Sophomore Liz Collins, Johnson and sophomore Anna Sippel added goals midway through the second half to round out the scoring.

Washington’s offense has outscored its opponents 19-0 through the opening three games of the season, while the defense has allowed just seven shots on goal with three shutouts.

No. 5 Carnegie Mellon 1, Ohio Northern 1, 2OT

PITTSBURGH -- Carnegie Mellon , ranked fifth in the nation, tied Ohio Northern 1-1 on Saturday in the opening game of the Carnegie Mellon DoubleTree Tartan Cup. The Tartans are now 1-0-1 on the year while the Polar Bears move to 1-1-1.

The Polar Bears got behind the Tartan defense when Anna Albi had to charge out of her net to challenge Sandy Plunkett on the right wing. Plunkett calmly put a diagonal ball toward the back post where Kristina Klusek calmly finished the shot in the vacated net for the one-goal advantage in the fifth minute of the match.

Four minutes into the second period, the Tartans equalized on a goal by junior Amanda So. So was on the receiving end of a ball sent into the box by senior Rachel Contopoulos after the defense cleared a threat by the Tartans. So found herself alone in the box as she settled the pass from Contopoulos and took a left-footed shot around Ohio Northern keeper Emily Brodict for the score.

In the 58th minute, the Tartans threatened again when junior Savina Reid played a diagonal ball off the goal line that junior Lucy Havens couldn't get a strong foot on. A minute later, Havens got a shot off but Brodict stopped it keeping the game tied at 1-1.

The Polar Bears earned a few corner kicks toward the end of the second half which Albi had to clear out but a shot was not taken by the visitors as the game went to sudden-death overtime.

The first extra period came to a close with no added score thanks to a save by Brodict on a distant shot by sophomore Carson Quiros in the final 10 seconds.

Brodict came up big with five minutes to play when she saved a point-blank shot by So following a deep throw-in by Brant.

No. 7 Johns Hopkins 2, Allegheny 1

PITTSBURGH -- Junior Sydney Teng and Senior Kelly Baker both scored as Hopkins went on to win its first match of the DoubleTree Tartan Cup against Allegheny 2-1.  Allegheny was within one goal after a score in the 65th minute, but the Jays held on to secure the win and improve to 4-0 on the season.

Teng got things started for the Blue Jays in the 27th minute on a pass from freshman forward Alyssa Morgan. Morgan executed a give and go with junior Hannah Kronick to set up the play, and Teng finished on a shot in traffic that went high over the Gator goalkeeper.

In the second half, Baker collected a ball sent down the sideline by Hope Lundberg to set up her second goal of the season. She took her dribble down the end line, maneuvered around a defender, and buried a left-footed shot near the far post.

Allegheny was able to respond quickly after Baker’s goal, on a one-timed shot from sophomore Niki Augistine. Both teams flirted with chances down the stretch, but the Blue Jay defense shut down the Gator attack, allowing only two shots in the second half and three total in the game.