No. 1 West Florida 1, No. 5 Armstrong Atlantic 1, 2OT

SAVANNAH, Ga. -- No. 5-ranked Armstrong Atlantic earned a 1-1 draw with top-ranked and defending national champion West Florida on Sunday afternoon to close out the 2013 Clash on the Coast, hosted by the Pirates at the Armstrong Soccer Field.

The Pirates (0-0-2) open the 2013 season with a pair of draws against the No. 1- and No. 2-ranked teams in the nation, but in doing so extend its current home unbeaten streak to 42 matches, dating back to 2008. West Florida (1-0-1), meanwhile, extends its current unbeaten streak to 15 matches with the tie.

Armstrong looked like it would come away with the win on the afternon when sophomore defender Taylor Russell volleyed in a shot off of a corner kick from junior Brianne Matarazzo in the 81st minute to stake the Pirates to a late 1-0 lead.

West Florida would send the match into overtime just 28 seconds from the end of regulation. Chelsea Palmer's throwin from the right side would find the head of Shelby Bush, who then flicked the ball across the box where it would be driven into the back of the net by Korrie Abernathy for the equalizer.

The Pirates would chase the match in extra time, getting two shots apiece in each of the overtime periods and also enjoying five corner kicks, but West Florida keeper Sarah Story came up with a save in each of the extra frames.

West Florida opened the match with two quick scoring opportunities as Sashana Campbell and Sara Helgadottir each had shots in the first two minutes of play. The Argos would take a 6-4 edge in shots into halftime of the scoreless contest.

In the second half, Armstrong would out-shoot the Argos 8-1 until Russell's goal. The Pirates would finish the contest with a 17-8 edge in shots and a staggering 14-2 edge in corner kicks.

Sarah Story made six saves in net for West Florida, while Morgan Luckie made a pair of saves in net for the Pirates. Armstrong was whistled for 20 fouls, compared to 10 for the Argos, and West Florida was whistled for offsides three times in the contest.

No. 2 Grand Valley State 2, No. 13 Columbus State 0

SAVANNAH, Ga. -- It was only a matter of time before Grand Valley State would find its stride offensively. Sunday afternoon, the No. 2 Lakers notched a pair of goals and their defense stifled No. 13 Columbus State in a 2-0 victory.

After a scoreless first half, which saw GVSU pepper the Columbus State defense with 12 shots, the offense kicked in.

At the 57:57 mark of the second half, junior midfielder Charlie Socia fired a long-range shot from outside the box. The ball sailed over the keeper's head and just under the crossbar for Socia's first goal of the season. Katie Klunder was credited with an assist on the play.

Less than six minutes later, a pair of freshmen extended the Lakers' lead. A through pass from Marti Corby found the foot of Michelle Foote, who beat the keeper one-on-one for her first goal in a GVSU uniform.

The 2-0 lead was never in jeopardy. The Lakers only yielded nine shots and the only two times senior keeper Abbey Miller was tested, she shut the door on the Cougars. Miller has yet to allow a goal this year.

Overall, the two-game trip to Savannah, Ga. was a success for Grand Valley State. The victory brings the Lakers' record to 1-0-1 on the year.

No. 6 Minnesota State-Mankato 3, No. 11 Central Missouri 0

MANKATO, Minn. -- Sixth-ranked Minnesota State-Mankato scored three second-half goals en route to a 3-0 victory against 11th-ranked Central Missouri Sunday afternoon at The Pitch as freshman Kiana Nickel collected her first two career goals.

The win elevates MSU to 2-0-0 on the year and extends the Mavericks' home unbeaten streak to 27 matches and its overall unbeaten streak to 23 consecutive matches, both school records.

It was a physical match from the start that saw a total of 16 fouls and three cards between the two teams.

In a scoreless first half, the Mavericks earned a decisive 11-3 advantage in shots but were only able to put one on net, while the Jennies fired a pair of shots on goal at MSU junior netminder Molly McGough. MSU's best scoring opportunity came in the 36th minute when sophomore Emily Erickson served a ball to junior Emily Moris - who was left alone in the box - but Moris fired a shot that missed wide left.

Minnesota State broke the tie in the 63rd minute when senior Courtney Vallarelli - who had her initial shot blocked - lifted a ball past UCM sophomore Morgan Hartzler for her second goal of the season.

Nickel gave the Mavericks a 2-0 lead in the 70th minute when she tucked a ball inside the left post after a perfect pass from junior Sydney Temple. Sixteen minutes later, Nickel struck again to cement the 3-0 win as she beat Hartzler for the second time on the left side after assists from Moris and freshman Laura Pivovar, who earned her first career point on the play.

Senior Tori Meinhardt, sophomore Korey Kronforst, Temple, Pivovar and Moris all garnered an assist a piece in the win.

The Mavericks outshot the Jennies 23-8 on the day with a 7-3 advantage in shots on goal. McGough recorded a match-high four saves to earn her second shutout of the year and 27th of her career, while Hartzler totaled three for UCM.