Baylor 5, Florida State 3
Baylor 5, Florida State 3May 22, 2005
Game Notes * First pitch was 1:01 p.m. CT.
* The game marked the Championship contest of the Auburn Regional. The regional was the first ever in Auburn history.
* Baylor's victory advances the Lady Bears to an NCAA Super-Regional. Baylor will take on California, which advanced out of the Fresno State Regional.
* The Lady Bears improved to 50-12 on the year, reaching 50-win plateau for the first time in school history.
* Baylor advances to meet California in the Super Regional. The Lady Bears are winless against Cal in three previous meetings between the schools.
* BU is now 5-2 in NCAA postseason play and 3-2 against Florida State.
* Tessa Lynam's solo blast in the first inning was her 13th home run of the season.
* With a fifth inning single, Kim Wilmoth extended her hit streak to six games. She now has 213 career hits, which is fourth on the all-time Baylor charts.
* With three errors against the Seminoles, Baylor has committed a total of six errors over the past two games. It is a season-high for errors in back-to-back games throughout the 2005 season.
* Lisa Ferguson gets the win for the Lady Bears, going five innings giving up three hits, two runs and striking out two. She moves to 20-5 on the season.
Florida State Notes
* Left fielder Natasha Jacob extended her hit streak to 24 games with a bunt single in the third inning.
* FSU committed at least one error in three of its four games at the Auburn Regional and in nine of its last 11 games overall.
* The Seminoles allowed 14 runs in two games against the Lady Bears, the most runs FSU has allowed a team in two combined games all season. FSU allowed 14 runs to Florida A&M over a four-game span.
* The 2005 season marks the most losses in a season for FSU with 28 on the year. 35 wins marks the fewest wins for a Seminole team since 1979 when FSU went 23-13. This season is also the first time that FSU did not reach 40 wins on the year since 1989 when the 'Noles went 39-14.
* Florida State's 35-28 record gives it its 27th consecutive winning season. The Seminoles have not had a losing season in their history.
* Twenty-eight losses on the year for FSU is the school record for losses in a season. The previous record was 27, set in 2000, when the Seminoles were 51-27 overall.
* Casey Hunter finished her career with 893 strikeouts which is second only to Jessica van der Linden (899). Hunter's 21-17 record on the season gives her three consecutive years with 20 or more wins in a season. Her overall record is 85-27.
Head Coach Glenn Moore
"We knew going into this game it was going to be war. Yesterday was war and today was war. I think the girls were really focused and knew what was at stake. We made a couple of early mistakes, but didn't get rattled. As usual, we went through several pitchers and Florida State never gave up. We had a couple of really good hits and Lisa Ferguson gave us a good game. We didn't decide until this morning who to pitch, but we went with her because of how well she pitched yesterday."
On next weekend's game vs. California...
"They have experience in their favor but I think our kids can play with anyone in the country. We will be very happy if we get to host and then get to go on to our first games in the World Series."
1B Chelsi Lake
On the game in general ...
"That was a great way to end the game. Florida State is a great team and they gave a great effort."
P Lisa Ferguson
On having already pitched to Florida State ...
"It does help me having pitched to them before. It helps to already know what they struggle with and what they hit well."
FLORIDA STATE QUOTES
Head Coach Dr. Joanne Graf
"Obviously, it was a disappointing loss for us, and ending our season. Our team gave a great effort and did a super job. They left it all on the field. We've had a terrific season, with a lot to build on in the future. They have a lot of fight in them."
On P Casey Hunter...
"Case went to our pitching coach this morning and said she wanted the ball. When a kid comes to you and says she wants the ball, I feel like you've got to give it to her. She has a lot of heart and fight in her. She gave a great effort.
On the season...
"It's been an up and down year for us. We didn't play our best consistently, but we did have a difficult schedule. We may have more losses than other teams. But we had the strength of schedule, which helps prepare us for this kind of tournament play.
P Casey Hunter
On her pitching...
"I wanted to pitch. I gave it my best, but I fell a little short."
LF Natasha Jacob
On being the leadoff hitter...
"I was just trying to get on base. That's my job as a leadoff hitter. I knew I had power hitters behind me, so I was just trying to get on."
-- Courtesy Auburn