College softball: Western Carolina's Taylor Sigmon pitches perfect game, breaks school RBI record
GREENSBORO, N.C. - Senior Taylor Sigmon tossed the first perfect game in Western Carolina softball history with the 5-0 Game 1 win over North Carolina A&T Wednesday. Sigmon also broke the career WCU RBI record in the same game. WCU picked up the doubleheader sweep in the nightcap with a 6-4 victory in Game 2.
Sigmon tossed the first perfect game in Western Carolina softball history to keep the Aggies off the base path. Crystal Cyr gave WCU the early 1-0 lead, in the top of the first, with an inside the park homerun.
How it Happened
- Cyr hit an inside the park homerun when she smoked a shot to right field that kissed the lip of the wall and bounced back in. She never let off the gas as she motored past second and took the chance to go home sliding in without a play at the plate.
- Western Carolina added three runs in the top of the sixth. Kassandra Flores hit a lead-off single to right field and Abigail Daniels reached base on an Aggie error. With one out, Cyr hit an RBI single to score Flores. Sigmon got her historic two RBI single right after when her base knock scored Daniels and Cyr to break the school record for RBI.
- The Catamounts tacked on a run in the top of the seventh. Karley Harkey led off with a single and moved all the way to third on a sacrifice bunt by Victoria Mariscal. Harkey scored from a sacrifice fly RBI by Flores.
Inside the Box Score
- Sigmon tossed a complete perfect game. She sat down 21 straight Aggies and struck out 11 - just one shy of tying her season high in strikeouts of 12. She improves to 11-9 on the season.
- Sigmon's historic game also included breaking the career RBI record with a two RBI single in the sixth.
Trailing 4-2, Western Carolina scored three runs in the top of the third to take a 5-4 lead and never trailed again. The Catamounts added an insurance run in the top of the fourth.
How it Happened
- Western Carolina scored two runs in the top of the second inning. With one out, Harkey singled to right field. Mariscal followed with a single and Anna Hughey was hit by a pitch to load the bases. Abigail Daniels reached courtesy of an Aggie error and Harkey scored on the play. With two outs, and the bases still loaded, Cyr drew an RBI walk for the second run of the inning.
- North Carolina A&T took its only lead in the pair of games scoring four runs in the bottom of the second leading 4-2.
- The Catamounts quickly re-took the lead scoring three runs in the top of the third. With one out, Madison Armstrong singled past the shortstop and moved to second on an error that also allowed Harkey to reach on a fielder's choice putting runners at first and second. Armstrong and Harkey scored off a two RBI triple by Mariscal. With two outs, Mariscal scored off an RBI fielder's choice by Daniels.
- The Catamounts tacked on a single run in the top of the fourth. With one out, Courtney Price singled and moved to second on the throw. Price moved to third on a groundout by Sigmon and scored on a passed ball.
Inside the Box Score
- All three Catamount pitchers saw action in game two with freshmanLily Hayes getting the start and the no decision. She went two innings allowing four runs on two hits and striking out two.
- Courtney Buchanan came into the game in relief of Hayes in the third inning. She tossed two scoreless innings allowing a hit and striking out two. Buchanan got the win in the game and improves to 11-2 on the season.
- Sigmon came into the game relieving Buchanan and closed out the game pitching the last three innings. She allowed one hit and struck out six earning her sixth save of the season. - Western Carolina had six hits in the game.
- Daniels, Mariscal and Harkey each had two hits in the game.
MORE: College Softball Hub
News & Notes
- Sigmon tossed the first perfect game in Western Carolina softball history sitting down 21 consecutive batters in the complete game. She had 11 strikeouts in the game one, 5-0, win over North Carolina A&T.
- Sigmon broke the WCU school record for RBI in a career hitting her 100th and 101st with a two RBI single in game one against NC A&T. Sigmon overtook former Catamount Lauren Ross, whom she was tied with at 99.
- Western Carolina picked up its 29th win of the season - the second most wins in the WCU record books overtaking the 2007 team who had 28. With the pair of wins, the Catamounts are also assured its second winning season in the program's 10-year history.
- Cyr hit her 12th homerun of the season moving her into a tie for fourth in the record books for homeruns in a season.
- Western Carolina has 43 homeruns in the 2016 season just two shy of moving into second place in the Catamount softball record books ... The 2012 club ended the year with 44.
- With appearances in both games against North Carolina A&T, Sigmon now has 151 strikeouts for the season ranking her sixth in the WCU record books for strikeouts in a season. She also continues to lead the SoCon in strikeouts.
- Cyr has now reached base safely in the last 11 games.
- Cyr has 43 RBI for the season ranking her tied for fourth in the WCU record books for RBI in a season.
- Mariscal hit the first triple of her career.