Amherst 4, Bates 1
Amherst 4, Bates 1May 6, 2005
MIDDLEBURY, Vt. - Amherst advanced to the NCAA regional final with a 4-1 win over Bates in an NCAA Regional at Middlebury College. The Lord Jeffs will take on the host school from Middlebury at 3:00 p.m. on Sunday in the regional final. The winner advances to the NCAA Quarterfinals on May 18-20th at UC-Santa Cruz.
Amherst took a 1-0 lead in the match by capturing two of three tightly-contested doubles matches. In singles play, Lenny Lepner, Max Rettig and Geoff Schwartz each won straight-set singles matches to earn the Jeffs their other three points. Will Boe-Wiegaard of Bates won his match for the Bobcats only point of the day. The other two matches were ended once the match had been decided.
1. Will Boe-Wiegaard (B) def. Josh Rilla (A) 7-6 (4), 6-2
2. Danny Babkes (A) vs. Blake Wayman (B) 7-6 (5), 5-0 (DNF)
3. Lenny Lepner (A) def. Greg Little (B) 7-6 (10), 6-1
4. Michael Mintz (A) vs. Tristan Beach (B) 3-6, 6-0, 2-1 (DNF)
5. Max Rettig (A) def. Sam Duvall (B) 6-1, 7-6 (5)
6. Geoff Schwartz (A) def. Pat Conway (B) 6-1, 6-0
1. Josh Rilla/Danny Babkes (A) def. Will Boe-Wiegaard/Sam Duvall (B) 8-4
2. Lenny Lepner/Geoff Schwartz (A) def. Blake Wayman/Tristan Beach (B) 8-6
3. Greg Little/Josh Feinberg (B) def. Michael Mintz/Jeff Lawrence (A) 8-6