Drury University 5, East Central
Drury University 5, East Central University 0May 6, 2005
SPRINGFIELD, Mo. -- The Drury mens tennis team opened play in the NCAA-II National Tennis Championships with a 5-0 win over the East Central University Tigers from Ada, Oklahoma. The first two rounds of this Central Regional are being played at the Cooper Tennis Complex in Springfield, Mo. with Drury University serving as host. Drury now advances to tomorrows championship match which will be played at 10 am. The Panthers will play the Hilltoppers from St. Edwards University who defeated the University of the Incarnate Word earlier today, 5-1. The winner of tomorrows second round match will advance to the NCAA-II Sweet 16 set for next week in Altamonte Springs, Florida.
In todays Drury-East Central University the Panthers claimed all three doubles matches and when Matias Oddone, the ITA Central Regions Player-to-Watch and the Heartland Conferences Player-of-the-Year, won 6-0, 6-0 the Panthers led 4-0. Moments later Drurys Omar Laalej, the freshman of the year in the ITA Central Region and in the Heartland Conference, claimed a 6-1, 6-2 win and the match came to a close with Drury winning, 5-0.
Complete results from todays opening round match of the 2005 NCAA-II National Mens Tennis Tournament between Drury University and East Central University follow.
1. Matias Oddone/Igor Fejzula (Drury) defeated Quynh Tran/Chad Waller (ECU) 8-3
2. Dante Bottini/Krisztian Kaplan (Drury) defeated Shane Conroy/Josue Paz (ECU) 8-2
3. Omar Laalej/Marcus Akesson (Drury) defeated Matt Folsom/Felipe Lopez (ECU) 8-3
1. Matias Oddone (Drury) defeated Josue Paz (ECU) 6-0. 6-0
2. Dante Bottini (Drury) vs. Quynh Tran (ECU) Did Not Finish
3. Igor Fejzula (Drury ) vs. Shane Conroy (ECU) Did Not Finish
4. Krisztian Kaplan (Drury) vs. Felipe Lopez (ECU) Did Not Finish
5. Omar Laalej (Drury) defeated Matt Folsom (ECU) 6-1, 6-2
6. Marcus Akesson (Drury) vs. Chad Waller (ECU) Did Not Finish