Kutztown 5, Millersville
Kutztown 5, Millersville 0May 6, 2005
KUTZTOWN, PA - Kutztown defeated Millersville, 5-0, in the first round of the NCAA Division II East Regional Men's Tennis Tournament at the Keystone Courts Friday morning.
The Golden Bears (19-1) won all three doubles matches, then picked up two quick singles points to secure the victory.
Mukundan Nandakumar and Harsh Sharma won 8-2 at first doubles, while Lukas Beman and Ilja Semjonovs picked up an 8-1 win at third doubles. At second doubles, Somdeep Appineni and Radoslaw Hlubinski broke a 6-6 with two straight wins to finish off an 8-6 hard-fought victory.
Sharma, at second singles, blanked his opponent, 6-0 and 6-0, to give KU its fourth team point. Appineni clinched the match with a 6-1, 6-1 win at fifth singles. The matches at first, third, fourth and sixth singles did not finish.
Kutztown advances to face the winner of Friday's other first round match between Assumption and Mercy on Saturday at 2:30 PM.
1. Mukundan Nandakumar/Harsh Sharma (K) def. Greg Bennett/Clifford Boyd (M) 8-2
2. Somdeep Appineni/Radoslaw Hlubinski (K) def. Brandon Kessler/Chris Matisse (M) 8-6
3. Lukas Beman/Ilja Semjonovs (K) def. Scott Smith/Jimmy Trieres (M) 8-1
1. Mukundan Nandakumar (K) vs. Greg Bennett (M) 6-3, 3-3 (did not finish)
2. Harsh Sharma (K) def. Clifford Boyd (M) 6-0, 6-0
3. Radoslaw Hlubinski (K) vs. Brandon Kessler (M) 6-2, 3-2 (did not finish)
4. Ilja Semjonovs (K) vs. Chris Matisse (M) 6-4, 1-1 (did not finish)
5. Somdeep Appineni (K) def. Scott Smith (M) 6-1, 6-1
6. Lukas Beman (K) vs. Jimmy Trieres (M) 6-2, 1-1 (did not finish)
--Courtesy USC Upstate