Lynn 5, Presbyterian
Lynn 5, Presbyterian 1May 6, 2005
BOCA RATON, Fla.-The #3 Lynn University men's tennis team took down #26 Presbyterian College by the score of 5-1 in the Southeast Region Semifinal match this afternoon. The Fighting Knights (16-5) now advance to the regional championship against #17 Florida Southern tomorrow at 10:00 a.m. Tallying two points in the doubles competition, the Knights took three straight matches in singles action from Presbyterian (13-9) for the victory.
In a battle of the nation's best in doubles action, Lynn took the point at the top position as the second-ranked pair of junior Jan Macko and graduate student Eduardo Morones battled out a 9-7 win over fifth-ranked Paul Ratchford and Kshitij Dwivedi. At the second spot in the lineup, sophomores Aivarus Balzekas and Regnier Azevedo downed Alistair Morgan and Nick Osborne by the score of 8-4. Presbyterian picked up the final point in doubles play with a 9-8 win by Hector Rincon and Zach Glankler.
The Knights took their lead into the singles portion of the match and quickly went ahead 3-1 after sophomore Dennis Reigraf easily got past Morgan 6-2, 6-0 at the fifth position. Riegraf extended his singles winning streak to nine matches. At the top spot, Balzekas, the seventh-ranked singles player in the country, notched a 6-3, 6-0 win over Rincon for Lynn's fourth team point. Finishing the match for the Knights and sending them to their first regional championship since 2000, Morones, ranked 29th, knocked off 28th-ranked Ratchford 6-1, 6-4 at the second position.
"As a team, we are playing very well right now and we're having fun. It's just a great honor to be hosting the tournament, so we know we need to go out and take advantage of this opportunity. Tomorrow's championship match is huge and we will all go refocus and come back in the morning ready to battle," Riegraf said.
Tomorrow's Southeast Regional Championship match will mark the rematch of the 2000 title between the two squads, as Florida Southern won the last match 5-3. Looking for their first regional championship since 1997, the Knights will battle with the Mocs in hopes of returning to the NCAA Championships.
1. Aivarus Balzekas (LUM) def. Hector Rincon (PRES) 6-3, 6-0
2. Eduardo Morones (LUM) def. Paul Ratchford (PRES) 6-1, 6-4
3. Regnier Azevedo (LUM) vs. Kshitij Dwivedi (PRES) unfinished
4. Jan Macko (LUM) vs. Nick Osborne (PRES) unfinished
5. Dennis Riegraf (LUM) def. Alistair Morgan (PRES) 6-2, 6-0
6. Daniel Zednik (LUM) vs. Zach Glankler (PRES) unfinished
1. Jan Macko/Eduardo Morones (LUM) def. Kshitij Dwivedi/Paul Ratchford (PRES) 9-7
2. Aivarus Balzekas/Regnier Azevedo (LUM) def. Nick Osborne/Alistair Morgan (PRES) 8-4
3. Zach Glankler/Hector Rincon (PRES) def. Dennis Riegraf/Dennis Verduin (LUM) 9-8
Lynn University 16-5
Official: Sally Edwards T-2:00 A-95