Kenyon College 4, DePauw University 3
Kenyon College 4, DePauw University 3May 7, 2005
GREENCASTLE, Ind. -- Kenyon College advanced to the NCAA Division III second round with a 4-3 victory over DePauw in a Central Region first-round match. The 23rd-ranked Lords improved to 16-5 and face the winner of the Washington-Kalmazoo match which is underway. Eighth-ranked DePauw finished the season at 19-6.
The match was tied at 3-3 and the final decision came down to number-five singles where Kenyon's Josh Mabra battled back from being down one set and trailing 5-0 in the second to DePauw's Jeff Zanchelli to win and give the Lords the team victory. Mabra won the match 4-6, 7-6 (10-8), 6-4.
Kenyon won the doubles points with wins at the first and second spots. Borko Tesic and Mike Herrick defeated DePauw's Evan Webeler and Billy Elliott, 8-3, at number one doubles with Joe Freeman and Sean Stewart winning over Donald Person and Marshall Kuresman, 8-4, at the number two slot. The Tigers win in doubles came at number three where Zanchelli and Kortney Keith beat Josh Mabra and Brian Taubman 8-4.
DePauw took a 3-1 lead with wins at sixth, third and second singles. Scott Sauer defeated Taubman 6-2, 6-3 at number six and Keith followed with a 6-4, 6-1 victory over Stewart by a 6-4, 6-1 score. DePauw's Marshall Kuresman defeated Mike Herrick at number two by a 6-3, 6-2 score.
Freeman then defeated Person at number four by a 6-0, 7-5 score and Borko Tesic was victorious over Evan Webeler at number one by a 6-3, 6-3 score to set up the dramatic finish.
1. Borko Tesic (KENYON) def. Evan Webeler (DEPAUW) 6-3, 6-4
2. Marshall Kuresman (DEPAUW) def. Mike Herrick (KENYON) 6-3, 6-2
3. Kortney Keith (DEPAUW) def. Sean Stewart (KENYON) 6-4, 6-1
4. Joe Freeman (KENYON) def. Donald Person (DEPAUW) 6-0, 7-5
5. Josh Mabra (KENYON) def. Jeff Zanchelli (DEPAUW) 4-6, 7-6 (10-8), 6-4
6. Scott Sauer (DEPAUW) def. Brian Taubman (KENYON) 6-2, 6-3
1. Borko Tesic/Mike Herrick (KENYON) def. Evan Webeler/Billy Elliott (DEPAUW) 8-3
2. Joe Freeman/Sean Stewart (KENYON) def. Donald Person/Marshall Kuresman (DEPAUW) 8-4
3. Jeff Zanchelli/Kortney Keith (DEPAUW) def. Josh Mabra/Brian Taubman (KENYON) 8-4
Match Notes: Kenyon College 16-5; National ranking #23; Regional ranking #6
DePauw University 19-6; National ranking #8; Regional ranking #3
Order of finish: Doubles (1,3,2); Singles (6,3,2,4,1,5)
NCAA Division III Central Region First Round
Kenyon advances to second round to face winner of Washington-Kalamazoo match
--Courtesy Gustavus Adolphus