Kutztown 5, Assumption
Kutztown 5, Assumption 1May 7, 2005
Kutztown 5, Assumption 1 KUTZTOWN, PA - Kutztown won the NCAA East Regional with a 5-1 decision over Assumption at Keystone Courts.
The victory sends the Golden Bears to the NCAA Championships for the fourth consecutive season.
The Golden Bears swept the doubles competition to take a 3-0 lead. Mukundan Nandakumar and Harsh Sharma won 8-4 at first doubles, as did Ilja Semjonovs and Lukas Beman at third doubles. The duo of Radoslaw Hlubinski and Somdeep Appineni picked up an 8-6 win at second doubles.
In singles, Sharma won a match at second singles 6-0, 6-0. Nandakumar clinched the regional title with a 6-2, 6-1 win at first singles.
Assumption's only point came from a 6-4, 6-4 win at fourth singles by Dave Marshall.
Kutztown now advances to the finals in Altamonte Springs, Fla., with the Central Florida Sports Commission and Sunshine State Conference serving as co-hosts, May 11-14.
1. Mukundan Nandakumar/Harsh Sharma (K) def. Mike Goldman/James Newman (A) 8-4
2. Radoslaw Hlubinski/Somdeep Appineni (K) def. Antonio Recalde/Dave Marshall (A) 8-6
3. Ilja Semjonovs/Lukas Beman (K) def. Matt Stopp/Dan Doenges (A) 8-4
1. Mukundan Nandakumar (K) def. Mike Goldman (A) 6-2, 6-1
2. Harsh Sharma (K) def. Antonio Recalde (A) 6-0, 6-0
3. Radoslaw Hlubinsi (K) vs. Matt Stopp (A) 7-6, 1-2
4. Dave Mashall (A) def. Ilja Semjonovs (K) 6-4, 6-4
5. Somdeep Appineni (K) vs. James Newman (A) 3-6, 2-2
6. Lukas Beman (K) vs. Dan Doenges (A) 6-2, 5-0
Team Records: Kutztown 20-1, Assumption 18-2
-- Courtesy St. Cloud State