UC San Diego 5, Hawaii-Hilo
UC San Diego 5, Hawaii-Hilo 2May 7, 2005
LA JOLLA, Calif. - The UC San Diego men's tennis team advanced to the NCAA Division II Round of 16 with a convincing 5-1 in the West Regional Final on Saturday morning at the Northview Tennis Courts on the campus of UCSD. With the win the 21st-ranked Tritons improve to 14-6 on the season while UHH's season ends with its second loss to UCSD this season.
The Tritons jumped out to an early 3-0 lead after sweeping the doubles portion of the match. Erik Oijala and Blake Meister had the easiest go of things, defeating Ned Hayley and Fuyuki Samejima by an 8-2 score. Seth Spector and Brent Molden teamed up for an 8-4 win at the No. 1 spot while Bryan Swatt and Will Phan combined for an 8-3 win at No. 2.
Molden came out in the singles portion of the match and cruised to a 6-0, 6-1 win over Daniel Pollock at the No. 2 spot for a 4-0 UCSD lead. Jeremy Moitry then posted a 6-4, 6-3 win over Bryan Swatt at the top singles for match for UHH before Oijala closed out the match with a 6-1, 2-6, 6-1 victory over Mitchel Gelina at the No. 4 spot.
The Tritons led in the other three singles matches before they were abandoned with UCSD having the needed five points for the match victory.
UCSD advances to the round of 16 that will be contested May 12-15 in Altamonte Springs, Fla. The Tritons were ousted in that same round a year ago, falling by a 5-2 score to the eventual National Champions, West Florida.
1. Jeremy Moitry (UHH) def. Bryan Swatt (UCSD) 6-4, 6-3
2. Brent Molden (UCSD) def. Daniel Pollock (UHH) 6-0, 6-1
3. Seth Spector (UCSD) led Steffan Moritz (UHH) 7-6, 2-6, 2-0
4. Erik Oijala (UCSD) def. Mitchel Gelina (UHH) 6-1, 2-6, 6-1
5. Blake Meister (UCSD) led Ned Hayley (UHH) 6-3, 1-6, 2-1
6. Will Phan (UCSD) led Lars Melskens (UHH) 7-5, 4-1
1. Spector/Molden (UCSD) def. Moitry/Moritz (UHH) 8-4
2. Swatt/Phan (UCSD) def. Pollock/Melskens (UHH) 8-3
3. Oijala/Meister (UCSD) def. Hayley/Fuyuki Samejima (UHH) 8-2
-- Courtesy UCSD