California 4, San Diego State
California 4, San Diego State 1May 14, 2005
LOS ANGELES The 24th-ranked Cal mens tennis team edged San Diego State, 4-1 Saturday in first round action of the NCAA Mens Tennis Championships at UCLAs Los Angeles Tennis Center. With the win, the Golden Bears (12-9) advance to Sundays second round and will face the winner of UCLA and Manhattan to be played later Saturday. San Diego State ends its season 17-6 overall with the loss.
Cal jumped out to an early lead after winning doubles matches at court Nos. 2 and 3 to claim the one point awarded for doubles play.
Once singles play began, Cals Conor Niland, ranked No. 13 in the country, gave the Golden Bears a 2-0 lead when he dispatched of 77th-ranked Benedikt Stronk, 6-2, 6-2. San Diego State then got on the board when Daniel Jung posted a 6-2, 6-2 victory Ken Nakahara at court No. 6.
Next off was court No. 2, where Cals Lennart Maack, ranked 82nd, was a 6-4, 6-1 winner over 94th-ranked Markus Dickhardt, giving the Golden Bears a 3-1 advantage.
The match was clinched at court No. 4, where Daniel Sebescen defeated SDSUs Christian Groh, 6-3, 6-4. Unfortunately for the Aztecs, both remaining matches were extremely close when play was suspended. Armando Carrascosa was leading Cals Patrick Briaud, 6-3, 5-5 at court No. 3. Dontia Haynes and Tyler Browne were tied at 1-1 in the third set of their match at court No. 5.
Sundays regional final is scheduled for 1:00 p.m. The winner will advance to the 16-team finals, May 21-24 in College Station, TX.
1. (15) Briaud/Niland (Cal) vs. Carrascosa/Stronk (SDSU) Susp.
2. Browne/Sebescen (Cal) def. Jung/Haynes (SDSU) 8-4
3. Maack/Dean Wallace (Cal) def. Dickhardt/Eugenio Romero (SDSU) 8-2
Cal Wins Doubles Point
1. (13) Conor Niland (Cal) def. (77) Benedikt Stronk (SDSU) 6-2, 6-2
2. (82) Lennart Maack (Cal) def. (94) Markus Dickhardt (SDSU) 6-4, 6-1
3. Patrick Briaud (Cal) vs. Armando Carrascosa (SDSU) Susp.
4. Daniel Sebescen (Cal) def. Christian Groh (SDSU) 6-3, 6-4*
5. Tyler Browne (Cal) vs. Dontia Haynes (SDSU) Susp.
6. Daniel Jung (SDSU) def. Ken Nakahara (Cal) 6-2, 6-2
* Denotes Clinching Match -- Singles Order of Finish: 1, 6, 2, 4
-- Courtesy UCLA