Duke 4, Virginia Commonwealth
Duke 4, Virginia Commonwealth 1May 14, 2005
DURHAM, N.C. -- Junior Jonathan Stokke rallied from a one-set deficit to defeat Marton Ott and provide Duke with the clinching point as the eighth-ranked and ninth-seeded Blue Devils defeated 41st-ranked Virginia Commonwealth, 4-1, in second round action of the 2005 NCAA Men's Tennis Tournament at the Ambler Tennis Stadium in Durham, N.C.
The Blue Devils improve to 20-5 on the year and advance to the NCAA Round of 16 on May 21 in College Station, Texas. Duke reaches the 20-win plateau for the 18th time in school history including the 13th under 15th-year head coach Jay Lapidus.
The Rams close out the 2005 season at 17-11.
After dropping the opening set in a tiebreaker, Stokke claimed the second set by a 6-3 count. With the third set tied at four games apiece, Stokke broke Ott and then served out for the match, fending off two break points in the process. Earlier in the day, Stokke paired with Jason Zimmermann to secure the doubles point for the Blue Devils in a 9-8 (3) decision over Ott and partner Arnaud Lecloerec.
After claiming the doubles point, Duke extended the lead to 2-0 when Zimmermann downed Daniel Lohff in straight sets, 6-2, 6-4, at the number five singles flight. Peter Rodrigues then stretched the advantage to 3-0 with a 6-2, 6-2 triumph over Francesc Lleal at the number three slot. Virginia Commonwealth scratched the scoreboard on the strength of Sergi Arumi's 6-3, 7-5 victory over Peter Shults at number four.
When Stokke clinched the match for the Blue Devils, the battle at number one singles between fifth-ranked Ludovic Walter of Duke and VCU's 17th-ranked Lecloerec was heading into a third set tiebreaker while at number six, Duke's Ned Samuelson and VCU's Damien Lacombe were midway through the third set.
#8 Duke 4, #41 Virginia Commonwealth 1
1. #5 Ludovic Walter (Duke) vs. #17 Arnaud Lecloerec, DNF
2. #89 Jonathan Stokke (Duke) def. #96 Marton Ott, 6-7 (1), 6-3, 6-4
3. Peter Rodrigues (Duke) def. Francesc Lleal, 6-2, 6-2
4. Sergi Arumi (VCU) def. Peter Shults, 6-3, 7-5
5. Jason Zimmermann (Duke) def. Daniel Lohff, 6-2, 6-4
6. Ned Samuelson (Duke) vs. Damien Lacombe, DNF
Order of finish: 5, 3, 4, 2
1. Stokke & Zimmermann (Duke) def. Lecloerec & Ott, 9-8 (3)
2. Charles Brezac & Walter (Duke) def. Lohff & Sebastian Ripoll, 9-7
3. Arumi & Lleal (VCU) def. Rodrigues & Shults, 9-7
Order of finish: 2, 3, 1
-- Courtesy Duke