Georgia 4, Winthrop
Georgia 4, Winthrop 0May 14, 2005
ATHENS, Ga. The sixth-seeded University of Georgia mens tennis team advanced to the second round of the NCAA Tournament on the back of a 4-0 victory over Winthrop Saturday afternoon at the Dan Magill Tennis Complex. The Bulldogs held a 3-0 lead but saw all four remaining matches go to three sets. Senior co-captain Matias Ormaza finally broke through to clinch the match for Georgia, topping Alejandro Portugal in three sets, 6-2, 3-6, 6-3.
Winthrop is a very good team, said Georgia head coach Manuel Diaz. I was very impressed with the way they fought us. This was a big match for them and a big match for us. We had an opportunity to win earlier but didnt put it away. The No. 4 match slipped away from us but we continued to fight. Finally Matias got through his match to win for us. This was a heck of a lot tighter and a heck of a lot tougher than the score indicates.
I wasnt expecting Winthrop to come out and not respect our team, said Ormaza
Georgia took the doubles point with wins at the No. 1 and No. 2 spots, to gain a 1-0 lead. The nations top-ranked team of sophomore John Isner and junior Antonio Ruiz was first off the court as they downed Clayton Almeida and Rodrigo Santos, 8-2. In the second doubles spot, junior co-captain Strahinja Bobusic and junior Colin Purcell teamed up to close out the doubles point with an 8-5 victory over Portugal and Jorge Padilla.
In singles action, Bobusic quickly dispatched Thiago Barbosa with a flawless 6-0, 6-0 victory, giving the Bulldogs a 2-0 lead. Sophomore Matic Omerzel made it a 3-0 Georgia edge with a 6-3, 6-4 win at No. 3 singles, downing Padilla to set up Ormaza for the match-clincher.
In the second round Sunday, Georgia will face Clemson at 1 p.m.
#7 University of Georgia 4, #75 Winthrop 0
1. John Isner (UGA) vs. Clayton Almeida (WIN) 5-7, 7-6 (7-5), 2-2, unfinished
2. Antonio Ruiz (UGA) vs. Vinicius Bortolatto (WIN) 1-6, 7-5, 4-3, unfinished
3. Matic Omerzel (UGA) def. Jorge Padilla (WIN) 6-3, 6-4
4. Colin Purcell (UGA) vs. Rodrigo Santos (WIN) 6-1, 6-7 (6-8), 4-2, unfinished
5. Strahinja Bobusic (UGA) def. Thiago Barbosa (WIN) 6-0, 6-0
6. Matias Ormaza (UGA) def. Alejandro Portugal (WIN) 6-2, 3-6, 6-3
1. #1 John Isner/Antonio Ruiz (UGA) def. Clayton Almeida/Rodrigo Santos (WIN) 8-2
2. Strahinja Bobusic/Colin Purcell (UGA) def. Alejandro Portugal/Jorge Padilla (WIN) 8-5
3. Vinicius Bortolatto/Thiago Barbosa (WIN) def. Ricardo Gonzalez/Matic Omerzel (UGA) 7-6
Winthrop 20-5; National ranking #75
University of Georgia 18-6; National ranking #7
Order of finish: Doubles (1,2); Singles (5,3,6)
Men's NCAA Tournament First Round
Georgia - #8 Seed; Winthrop - #49-64 Seed
Official: Walt Williams T-3:18 A-256
-- Courtesy Georgia