Ohio State 4, Brown
Ohio State 4, Brown 0May 14, 2005
KNOXVILLE, Tenn.- The Ohio State men's tennis team advanced to the second round Saturday by defeating No. 40 Brown 4-0.
The Buckeyes won the doubles point in convincing fashion. No. 5 Scott Green and Ross Wilson defeated Nick Goldberg and Adil Shamasdin 8-3 and Chris Klingemann and Devin Mullings defeated Saurabh Kohli and Eric Thomas 8-5 to clinch the point for the Buckeyes.
Joey Atas quickly gave the Buckeyes a 2-0 lead with his win at the No. 3 slot 6-2, 6-3 over Thomas. Devin Mullings, the highest ranked player in the Knoxville regional, made it 3-0 with his victory over No. 86 Adil Shamasdin 6-2, 4-6, 6-4.
Ross Wilson clinched the match for the Buckeyes with his straight-set win over Phil Charm 7-5, 6-2.
Brown did not go down as easily as the final score appears though as the No. 2 and 4 singles matches went 3 hours apiece and Brown was in a position to win both matches when Ohio State clinched the match.
The Buckeyes will meet Tennessee in the second round at 1 p.m. Coincidently the last time the two teams met was also in the second round of the Knoxville Regional in 2001. Tennessee won that match 4-1.
Ohio State 4 Brown 0
1. Devin Mullings (OSU) def. Adil Shamasdin (BU) 6-2, 4-6, 6-4
2. Chris Klingemann (OSU) led Nick Goldberg (BU) 6-7, 6-2, 4-3 (susp.)
3. Joey Atas (OSU) def. Eric Thomas (BU) 6-2, 6-3
4. Rich Moss (BU) led Scott Green (OSU) 7-6, 4-6, 6-5 (susp.)
5. Ross Wilson (OSU) def. Phil Charm (BU) 7-5, 6-2
6. Drew Eberly (OSU) led Saurabh Kohli (BU) 6-1 (susp.)
Order of Finish: 3,1,5
1. Green/Wilson (OSU) def. Goldberg/Shamasdin (BU) 8-3
2. Klingemann/Mullings (OSU) def. Kohli/Thomas (BU) 8-5
3. Atas/Eberly (OSU) led Charm/Moss (BU) 6-5
Order of Finish: 2,1
-- Courtesy UTK