West Florida 5, North Florida
West Florida 5, North Florida 0May 14, 2005
ALTAMONTE SPRINGS, Fla.The top-ranked West Florida Argonauts showed why they were the top team in NCAA Division II with a 5-0 blanking of ninth-ranked North Florida to win the 2005 NCAA Division II Mens Tennis National Championship at Sanlando Park on Saturday.
The defending champs got out of the gate quickly, taking all three doubles points. The Argonautss top team of Paulius Jurkenas and Mario Vergara, ranked number three, got West Florida on the board first, defeating German Escallon and Leonardo Gomes 8-3 at the top flight. Diego Zorzi and partner German Dalmagro made it 2-0 for the Argonauts by beating Eduardo Perriera and Elad Gabay 8-4 at the second slot. Jonas Mouly and Nicolas Barrientos gave the Argonauts the sweep with a 9-8 (10-8). They trailed Damian De Polignac and Jose Maria Terrera 5-2, but came back to force a tiebreaker, winning 10-8.
The Argonauts took a hit in singles before play began when their top player, third-ranked Diego Zorzi, was unable to continue after doubles due to a tight hamstring. But the UWF lineup was just too strong as every one moved up a flight and the Argonauts won five of six first sets. Dalmagro put the Argos up 4-0, winning 6-2, 6-1 over Gomes at number four. Karol Szmurlo capped the win by defeating Glen Marshall 6-2, 6-2 at number six.
West Florida has now won back-to-back titles under head coach Derrick Racine. The Argonauts defeated Valdosta State 5-2 to win the 2004 title.
Tennis Match Results
West Florida vs North Florida
May 14, 2005 at Altamonte Springs, Fla.
#1 West Florida 5, #9 North Florida 0
1. #10 Eduardo Pereira (UNF) vs. #9 Paulius Jurkenas (UWF) 4-6, 5-5, unfinished
2. #27 Jose Maria Terrera (UNF) vs. #31 Jonas Mouly (UWF) 4-6, 0-2, unfinished
3. German Escallon (UNF) vs. Mario Vergara (UWF) 2-6, 2-5, unfinished
4. German Dalmagro (UWF) def. Leonardo Gomes (UNF) 6-2, 6-1
5. Elad Gabay (UNF) vs. Nicolas Barrientos (UWF) 6-4, 4-3, unfinished
6. Karol Szmurlo (UWF) def. Glen Marshall (UNF) 6-3, 6-2
1. #3 Paulius Jurkenas/Mario Vergara (UWF) def. German Escallon/Leonardo Gomes (UNF) 8-3
2. Diego Zorzi/German Dalmagro (UWF) def. Eduardo Pereira/Elad Gabay (UNF) 8-4
3. Jonas Mouly/Nicolas Barrientos (UWF) def. Damien De Polignac/Jose Maria Terrera (UNF) 9-8 (10-8)
West Florida 29-2; National ranking #1
North Florida 22-7; National ranking #9
Order of finish: Doubles (1,2,3); Singles (,4,6)
West Florida wins 2005 NCAA Division II Men's Tennis National Championship
-- Courtesy Central Florida Sports Commission