Texas Tech 4, Wake Forest
Texas Tech 4, Wake Forest 1May 15, 2005
LUBBOCK, Texas The No. 15 Texas Tech mens tennis team defeated No. 17 Wake Forest, 4-1, in the second round of the 2005 NCAA Division I Mens Tennis Championship on Sun., May 15, at the McLeod Tennis Center in Lubbock. The Red Raiders advance to the NCAA Sweet 16 for the first time in school history. Tech improved to 25-3, while Wake Forest finishes the year 17-7.
In a setting like this, I didnt know how well we would play, said head coach Tim Siegel. We saved our best doubles of the year for today and Michael Innerebner played his best match of the year. I am so happy and so proud of this team. Im excited we were able to win in front of our own fans.
Tech won the doubles point of the match as the No. 1 and No. 2 doubles team captured victories. Radek Nijaki and Bojan Szumanski defeated Derrick Spice and Brett Ross, 8-4, at No. 1, while Esat Tanik and Adrian Prpic beat Andrew Hamar and Marius Adamski, 8-4, at No. 2.
The Red Raiders then won three of four matches in singles as Michael Innerebner finished first at No. 5 with a 7-6, 6-1, win over Adamski. Jakob Paulsen claimed a 6-2, 6-4, victory against Hamar at No. 3. Clinching the match for Tech was Dimitrio Martinez, as he beat Liron Strauss, 6-0, 6-3, at No. 6.
Tech will face Ole Miss on Sat., May 21, in the NCAA Sweet 16 at George P. Mitchell Tennis Center, in College Station, Texas, on the campus of Texas A&M University. The NCAA Championship runs May 21-24 in College Station.
2005 NCAA Division I Mens Tennis Championship
First and Second Rounds
Second Round - May 15
Wake Forest vs. Texas Tech
Final Score - Texas Tech 4, Wake Forest 1
1. Derrick Spice (WF) vs. Radek Nijaki (Texas Tech) DNF
2. Todd Paul (WF) vs. Bojan Szumanski DNF
3. Jakob Paulsen (Texas Tech) def. Andrew Hamar (WF), 6-2, 6-4
4. Brett Ross (WF) def. Esat Tanik (Texas Tech), 6-1, 6-4
5. Michael Innerebner (Texas Tech) def. Marius Adamski (WF), 7-6, 6-1
6. Dimitrio Martinez (Texas Tech) def. Liron Strauss (WF), 6-0, 6-3
1. Radek Nijaki/Bojan Szumanski (Texas Tech) def. Derrick Spice/Brett Ross (WF), 8-4
2. Esat Tanik/Adrian Prpic (Texas Tech) def. Andrew Hamar/Marius Adamski (WF), 8-4
3. Todd Paul/Joe Bates (WF) vs. Michael Innerebner/Jakob Paulsen (Texas Tech), DNF
-- Courtesy Texas Tech