Cavaliers Down Navy 4-0 in NCAA First Round
May 8, 2009
Courtesy of Virginia Athletics
CHARLOTTESVILLE - The No. 1 Virginia men's tennis team posted its third consecutive 30-win season as it topped Navy 4-0 in a NCAA Tournament first round match at the Snyder Tennis Center. The Cavaliers (30-0) meet ACC rival North Carolina in the second round Saturday for a trip to the round of 16 next week.
"It was nice to get back out on the courts after a three-week break," said Virginia head coach Brian Boland. "You sometimes wonder how the layoff will affect the team, but the guys have had a couple great weeks of practice and came out today focused and ready to compete."
The Cavaliers took the 1-0 lead by winning the doubles point. Houston Barrick (Brentwood, Tenn.) and Sanam Singh (Chandigarh, India) topped Jason Hill and Nick Birger 8-3 at No. 2 doubles. The win was the duo's 38th of season, tying the school record for wins in a season by a doubles team, set last year by Somdev Devvarman and Treat Huey. Dominic Inglot (London, England) and Michael Shabaz (Fairfax, Va.) clinched the opening point with an 8-3 win at No. 1 over Nate Nelms and Johnny Waters.
In singles, Shabaz extended the lead to 2-0 with his 6-2, 6-2 win over Marcus Rebersak at No. 3 singles. Singh added a 6-0, 6-4 win over Waters at No. 2 singles to make the score 3-0. Drew Courtney (Clifton, Va.) clinched the dual match win as he completed a 6-2, 6-2 win over Ramsey Lemaich at the No. 5 position.
The Cavaliers will play North Carolina in the second round Saturday at 1 p.m. at the Snyder Tennis Center. The Tar Heels topped South Carolina 4-0 in Friday's other first round match of the Charlottesville Regional. Virginia defeated the Tar Heels 7-0 in the regular season and 4-0 in the ACC Tournament earlier this year.
"We are looking forward to playing North Carolina," said Boland. "We have a lot of respect for their program and know that we will have to be ready to play tomorrow."
No. 1 Virginia 4, Navy 0
1. #12 Inglot/Shabaz (UVa) def. Nelms/Waters (Navy) 8-3
2. #13 Barrick/Singh (UVa) def. Hill/Birger (Navy) 8-3
3. Singer/Courtney (UVa) led Lemaich/Bullard (Navy) 6-2 DNF
1. #14 Dominic Inglot (UVa) led Nate Nelms (Navy) 6-2, 3-4 DNF
2. #26 Sanam Singh (UVa) def. Johnny Waters (Navy) 6-0, 6-4
3. #27 Michael Shabaz (UVa) def. Marcus Rebersak (Navy) 6-2, 6-2
4. Steven Eelkman Rooda (UVa) led Jason Hill (Navy) 7-6(3), 0-0 DNF
5. Drew Courtney (UVa) def. Ramsey Lemaich (Navy) 6-2, 6-2
6. #90 Lee Singer (UVa) def. Owen Bullard (Navy) 6-3, 5-2 DNF
Order of Finish