UCLA Cruises Past Southern Illinois, 4-0
May 8, 2009
Courtesy of UCLA Athletics
LOS ANGELES - The seventh-seeded UCLA men's tennis team had little trouble in its opening match of the 2009 NCAA Championships on Friday, cruising to a 4-0 victory over Southern Illinois in regional action at the Los Angeles Tennis Center. The win sets up a second-round showdown with Hawai'i (11-9) on Saturday at 3:00 p.m. The Rainbow Warriors upset 20th-ranked Oklahoma State, 4-3 earlier in the day.
After taking the doubles point, UCLA (18-4) received straight set singles wins at the bottom three courts, as Nick Meister, Amit Inbar and Michael Look all turned in solid performances. The Bruins were also leading at two of the other three courts when play was suspended.
With the loss, Southern Illinois ends its season with an 18-7 overall record.
NCAA Men's Tennis Championships
First Round @ Los Angeles (Los Angeles Tennis Center)
May 8, 2009
(7) UCLA def. Southern Illinois, 4-0
1. (52) Look/Meister (UCLA) led Villasenor/West (SIU), 7-5 Susp.
2. (80) Inbar/Srugo (UCLA) def. Leonenko/Waked (SIU), 8-3
3. Haythem Abid/Brooklyn (UCLA) def. Rubiano/Vidal (SIU), 8-1
UCLA Wins Doubles Point -- Order of Finish: 3, 2
1. (64) Matt Brooklyn (UCLA) led Felipe Villasenor (SIU), 6-4, 3-3 Susp.
2. Harel Srugo (UCLA) led Lucas Waked (SIU), 6-3, 5-0 Susp.
3. Holden Seguso (UCLA) tied with Eric West (SIU), 6-6 Susp.
4. (100) Michael Look (UCLA) def. Hugo Vidal (SIU), 6-2, 6-2*
5. (107) Nick Meister (UCLA) def. Sebastian Rubiano (SIU), 6-2, 6-1
6. Amit Inbar (UCLA) def. Anton Leonenko (SIU), 6-4, 6-3
* Denotes Clinching Match Order of Finish: 5, 6, 4