Ithaca Falls, 5-0, To Middlebury In Second Round
May 9, 2009
Courtesy of Ithaca
Middlebury, Vt. - The Ithaca men's tennis team (18-5) lost 5-0 to Middlebury (19-2) in an NCAA Division III Men's Tennis tournament match Saturday at Middlebury. The match began at 2 p.m. on the outdoor courts and was moved inside the Nelson Rec Center due to rain. Following a few minutes of action indoors, a power failure caused a lengthy delay with action resuming at local indoor facility at 8:15 p.m.
Ithaca set a program record for wins in a season with 18, won the Empire 8 title and earned the first ever NCAA Tournament victory for Bomber men's tennis.
Middlebury swept the three doubles matches and won the first two completed singles matches in straight sets.
Tennis Match Results
Ithaca vs Middlebury
05/09/09 at Middlebury, Vt.
NCAA Tournament Second Round
#5 Middlebury 5, Ithaca 0
1. Andrew Thompson (MIDD) vs. Taylor BORDA (IC) 6-2, 4-5, unfinished
2. Andrew Lee (MIDD) def. Josh RIFKIN (IC) 6-4, 6-4
3. Andy Peters (MIDD) def. Jimmy NEWTON (IC) 6-0, 6-1
4. Eliot Jia (MIDD) vs. Daniel WOLK (IC) 6-4, unfinished
5. Rich Bonfiglio (MIDD) vs. Mike MURACO (IC) 6-0, 3-0, unfinished
6. David Farah (MIDD) vs. Dan LEVINE (IC) 6-0, 0-1, unfinished
1. David Farah/Andrew Thompson (MIDD) def. Taylor BORDA/Josh RIFKIN (IC) 8-4
2. Rich Bonfiglio/Andrew Lee (MIDD) def. Jimmy NEWTON/Daniel WOLK (IC) 8-3
3. Eliot Jia/Andy Peters (MIDD) def. Andrew DUNNICK/Mike MURACO (IC) 8-2
Middlebury 19-2; National ranking #5; Regional ranking #1
Order of finish: Doubles (3,2,1); Singles (3,2)