Skidmore Downs M.I.T., 5-3
May 9, 2009
Courtesy of Skidmore Athletics
Middlebury, Vt. - The Skidmore College men's tennis team earned its first NCAA Tournament victory in program history as the Thoroughbreds downed M.I.T., 5-3 Saturday afternoon at Middlebury College.
Skidmore is now 16-2 on the season.
The Thoroughbreds will take on the winner of the Middlebury/Ithaca match played later today, at 1:00 p.m. on Sunday with a trip to the NCAA Quarterfinals on the line.
Skidmore grabbed the 2-1 lead after doubles play, getting an 8-3 win at #1 by Carl Eric Girardin and T.J. David and an 8-2 win in the #2 slot by Spencer Cheng and Lorenzo Cabrera.
M.I.T. tied the match when Ken Van Tilburg defeated Yahia Imam 6-3, 6-1 in the #2 position. Skidmore took the next two singles matches at #3 and #6 to take a 4-2 lead. Cabrera won a 6-2, 6-2 match over Brian Wee, while Ethan Bond was a 6-2, 6-3 winner over Ryan Castonia.
Trailing 4-2, Sam Harmatz made it a one-point match at #4 singles as he defeated Cheng of Skidmore 6-3, 6-1. Luke Granger sealed the match for the Thoroughbreds at #5, earning a 6-4, 6-1 over Peden Nichols to end the contest.
Skidmore 5, M.I.T. 3
1. Carl Eric Girardin (S) vs. Kevin Pang (M) - 6-3, 4-6, 3-3, DNF
2. Ken Van Tilburg (M) def. Yahia Imam (S) - 6-3, 6-1
3. Lorenzo Cabrera (S) def. Brian Wee (M) - 6-3, 6-2
4. Sam Harmatz (M) def. Spencer Cheng (S) - 6-4, 6-1
5. Luke Granger (S) def. Peden Nichols (M) - 6-4, 6-1
6. Ethan Bond (S) def. Ryan Castonia (M) - 6-2, 6-3
1. Girardin/T.J. David (S) def. Pang/Van Tilburg (M) - 8-3
2. Cheng/Cabrera (S) def. David Iba/Wee (M) - 8-2
3. Nichols/Harmatz (M) def. Imam/Granger (S) - 8-5