Beidas Leads Pepperdine Over Hawaii In NCAA First Round
May 15, 2010
Courtesy of Pepperdine Athletics
PALO ALTO, Calif. - Senior Bassam Beidas posted wins against nationally ranked opponents in singles and doubles and helped the #21 Pepperdine men's tennis team to a 4-0 victory over #37 Hawaii in the first round of the NCAA Tournament on Saturday.
The Waves (17-10) will take on #7 Stanford (19-5) on Sunday at noon in the second round at the Taube Tennis Stadium. The Cardinal defeated Quinnipiac 4-0 today. At stake will be a berth in the Round of 16 at the NCAA Championships in Athens, Ga.
Beidas (Cairo, Egypt) and sophomore Alex Llompart (Carolina, Puerto Rico), the nation's 27th-ranked doubles team, dispatched the 78th-ranked duo from Hawaii by the score of 8-2. At the #2 doubles position, sophomore Hugh Clarke (Brisbane, Australia) and freshman Finn Tearney (Wellington, New Zealand) posted a 9-7 victory to give the Waves the doubles point.
All six Waves won the opening set in singles play. Llompart and sophomore Jenson Turner (Woodland Hills, Calif.) captured easy victories at #5 and #6 singles, respectively, to make the team score 3-0. Llompart won 6-1, 6-0 and Turner posted a 6-2, 6-0 result.
Beidas, ranked #32 and facing #113 Dennis Lajola of Hawaii, won his first set 6-3 and won the second in a tiebreaker at the #1 position to clinch the victory for the Waves. The remaining three singles matches were stopped.
"It was a good match today," Pepperdine Coach Adam Steinberg said. "We got off to a little bit of a shaky start in doubles but rebounded and played very well in singles against a very good Hawaii team. It was a good first match for us. Alex and Jenson did a good job to get points on the board quickly in singles."
Pepperdine won its first-round match for the 13th straight year and will be attempting to get into the Round of 16 for the seventh time during this span. The Waves could be meeting Stanford in the second round for the third straight year (Pepperdine won in Malibu in 2008 and the Cardinal won in Palo Alto in 2009).
#21 Pepperdine 4, #37 Hawaii 0
1) #27 Bassam Beidas/Alex Llompart (PEP) def. #78 Philipp Eberhard/Andreas Weber (UH), 8-2
2) Hugh Clarke/Finn Tearney (PEP) def. Dennis Lajola/Daniel Llarenas (UH), 9-7
3) Sebastian Fanselow/Mousheg Hovhannisyan (PEP) vs. Leo Rosenberg/Jeremy Tweedt (UH), 6-6, suspended
Order of finish: 1, 2
1) #32 Bassam Beidas (PEP) def. #113 Dennis Lajola (UH), 6-3, 7-6 (8)
2) #70 Sebastian Fanselow (PEP) led Andreas Weber (UH), 6-4, 4-4, suspended
3) Finn Tearney (PEP) led Leo Rosenberg (UH), 6-4, 5-6, suspended
4) Mousheg Hovhannisyan (PEP) led Jeremy Tweedt (UH), 7-5, 5-3, suspended
5) Alex Llompart (PEP) def. Philipp Eberhard (UH), 6-1, 6-0
6) Jenson Turner (PEP) def. Dmytro Kovalyov (UH), 6-2, 6-0
Order of finish: 5, 6, 1
Records: #21 Pepperdine 17-10, #37 Hawaii 12-8