Williams Takes Down St. Lawrence To Advance To NCAA Second Round
May 15, 2010
Courtesy of Williams
AMHERST, MA . - Williams men's tennis (12-6) began their NCAA tournament with a 5-1 win over St. Lawrence University (13-6). Despite losing a close contest at number one doubles, the Ephs were tenacious in singles play to finish off the Saints with three dominant straight set wins for the 5-1 victory.
St. Lawrence edged out Salve Regina in a 5-4 first-round contest yesterday at Amherst to advance to today's second-round match, while Williams received a first-round bye. The Ephs were energized in their first match of the tournament, and Williams' number two and three pairs came out firing in doubles.
Nick Lebedoff and Will Petrie blasted their opponents at court two with an 8-0 win, while Felix Sun and Trey Meyer closed out a victory at court three, 8-6. Dicken Chaplin and Bryan Chow were challenged at court one, and fell in an 8-6 tiebreak.
"St. Lawrence played well, and we slipped up at one doubles," said Williams head coach Dan Greenberg. "Other than that I felt like people were very focused and it was nice to get that first tournament win."
Senior co-captains Jeremy Weinberger and Lebedoff tallied two singles wins for the Ephs today in identical 6-2, 6-2 scores at courts two and three. First-year Trey Meyer gave up only one game at court six in a 6-0, 6-1 victory.
The Ephs will take on regional host Amherst tomorrow at 1:00 p.m. Williams and Amherst split their contests thus far in the season. The Lord Jeffs took the regular season match up on April 18, 7-2, while Williams upset the Amherst in the NESCAC semifinals last weekend, 5-3.
"We are excited to play Amherst again in a match that's even bigger than last weekend," said Greenberg. "The team still has the confidence from last weekends win and are excited for a match with the NCAA quarterfinals at stake."
Williams 5, St. Lawrence 1
1) Jackely/Wilkey (SL) def. Chaplin/Chow (W) 9-8 (8-6)
2) Lebedoff/Petrie(W) def. Gates/McDonald (SL) 8-0
3) Meyer/Sun (W) def. Rodilosso/Tamm (SL) 8-4???Singles
1) Felix Sun (W) leading Miachel Hayden (SL) 6-0, 5-2, unfinished
2) Nick Lebedoff (W) def. Tony Wilkey (SL) 6-2, 6-2
3) Jeremy Weinberger (W) def. Philip Jackely (SL) 6-2, 6-2
4) Bryan Chow (W) leading Adam Gerber (SL) 6-0, 5-1, unfinished
5) Zach Weiss (W)leading Chris McDonald (SL) 7-5, 1-1, unfinished
6) Trey Meyer (W) def. Charles Gates (SL) 6-0, 6-1