Stanford Into NCAA Round of 16 After Shutout Of Pepperdine
May 16, 2010
Courtesy of Stanford College Sports Information
STANFORD, Calif.-No. 7 Stanford blanked No. 21 Pepperdine 4-0 in the second round of the 2010 NCAA Tournament on Sunday afternoon at the Taube Family Tennis Stadium, earning a berth in next weekend's NCAA Championships round of 16 in Athens, Ga.
The Cardinal (20-5, 5-1 Pac-10) has now reached the NCAA round of 16 for the second straight season. Stanford will now square off against the winner of Sunday's UCLA-California match, with that contest to be played on Friday, May 21, at 9 a.m. PT.
Seeded eighth in the postseason draw but ranked No. 7 in the latest edition of the national rankings, Stanford reached another milestone with Sunday's victory over Pepperdine (17-11, 5-0 WCC). With the win, the Cardinal has recorded back-to-back 20-win campaigns for the first time since 2002-03.
Collecting its ninth straight victory overall, Stanford claimed a hard-fought doubles point before locking up three singles victories despite a late charge by Pepperdine.
Stanford's top team of Bradley Klahn and Ryan Thacher clinched the doubles point with an 8-5 win at the No. 1 position.
Klahn was the first off in singles competition, posting a 6-3, 6-1 triumph over Bassam Beidas in a battle of nationally-ranked players on court one. Meanwhile, Richard Wire was cruising along on the back courts and picked up a 6-2, 6-4 victory at No. 5.
Leading 3-0, Stanford figured to be in good shape. But Pepperdine started to battle back and claim some momentum on courts two, three and four.
The crowd's attention then turned to court six, where Greg Hirshman had taken the first set and built a small lead in the second. Hirshman ended up closing out the match for the clincher by a 6-4, 6-4 count.
No. 7 Stanford 4, No. 21 Pepperdine 0
1) No. 4 Klahn/Thacher (STAN) d. No. 27 Beidas/Llompart (PEP) 8-5
2) No. 51 Clayton/Wire (STAN) vs. Hugh Clarke/Tearney (PEP) 7-7, susp.
3) Kandath/Lin (STAN) d. Fanselow/Hovhannisyan (PEP) 8-2
Order of Finish: 3, 1
1) No. 13 Bradley Klahn (STAN) d. No. 32 Bassam Beidas (PEP) 6-2, 6-1
2) No. 70 Sebastian Fanselow (PEP) led No. 84 Ryan Thacher (STAN) 2-6, 6-1, 4-3, susp.
3) No. 62 Alex Clayton (STAN) led Finbar Tearney (PEP) 7-6 (4), 2-3, susp.
4) Mousheg Hovhannisyan (PEP) led Denis Lin (STAN) 7-6 (2), 5-2, susp.
5) Richard Wire (STAN) d. Alex Llompart (PEP) 6-2, 6-4
6) Greg Hirshman (STAN) d. Jenson Turner (PEP) 6-4, 6-4
Order of Finish: 1, 5, 6