GAINESVILLE, Fla. — No. 8 Southern California whipped up a 4-0 upset of No. 5 Georgia Sunday to close out this year’s edition of the Pac-12/SEC Challenge. Up against the Bulldogs in Gainesville, the Trojans secured a quick doubles point and then rattled off a string of straight-set singles wins, including the clincher coming from Jack Jaede on court five. USC improves to 6-1 overall with the upset sweep.
Fight On! pic.twitter.com/BVzJApoZgN— USC Men's Tennis (@USCMensTennis) February 5, 2017
Doubles play opened the same way it did Saturday for the Trojans, with Rob Bellamy and Jack Jaede speeding to victory on court three. The Trojan duo posted a 6-2 win over Georgia’s Montgomery/Ponwith. Just a minute later, freshman duo Brandon Holt and Riley Smith closed out a 6-4 win over Loeb/Zielinski to tack that 1-0 lead on the board for USC and suspend a tight match on court two between USC’s Crystal/Verboven and Georgia’s Duncan/Oosterbaan.
Singles action saw Bellamy again provide a winning spark with a smooth 6-2, 6-3 win on court six over Georgia’s Robert Loeb. Soon after Bellamy's win tugged the Trojans ahead 2-0, USC freshman Brandon Holt grabbed a 6-1, 6-4 victory at the No. 2 spot over Emil Reinberg to set the table for a USC clincher. That decider would come from court five, where Jack Jaede continued his winning ways with a 6-1, 7-6 victory over Walker Duncan to cap off a 4-0 advantage and the shutout win for the Trojans.
(1) Holt/R. Smith (USC) def. Loeb/Zielinski (UGA) - 6-4
(2) Crystal/Verboven (USC) vs. Duncan/Oosterbaan (UGA) - 4-4 susp.
(3) Bellamy/Jaede (USC) def. Montgomery/Ponwith (UGA) - 6-2
USC wins doubles point.
Order of finish: 3, 1
(1) 28 Logan Smith (USC) vs. #22 Wayne Montgomery (UGA) - 6-3, 3-6 susp.
(2) #20 Brandon Holt (USC) def.#31 Emil Reinberg (UGA) - 6-1, 6-4
(3) #88 Nick Crystal (USC) vs. #124 Nathan Ponwith (UGA) - 6-1 susp.
(4) #114 Thibault Forget (USC) vs. Paul Oosetbaan (UGA) - 6-1, 7-6 susp.
(5) Jack Jaede (USC) def. #79 Walker Duncan (UGA) - 6-1, 7-6*
(6) Rob Bellamy (USC) def. Robert Loeb (UGA) - 6-2, 6-3
Order of finish: 6, 2, 5*