Nebraska-Omaha 5, Colorado State-Pueblo
Nebraska-Omaha 5, Colorado State-Pueblo 1May 6, 2005
TOPEKA -- The No. 3 seeded Nebraska-Omaha Mavericks moved into the regional pod finals of the Women's North Central Regional with a 5-1 win over Colorado State-Pueblo in the first match of the day in Topeka.
UNO swept the doubles competition to take an early 3-0 lead. The Mavericks Abby Wilson gave UNO a 4-0 lead after winner at No. 6 sinlges 6-0, 6-2 over September Sisneros. The lone point for the Thunderwolves came at No. 3 singles as Cyndi Nagy topped Lindsay Henjum 6-1, 6-1. The match was clinched by Pam Lee who won her no. 4 singles match. Lee fell 6-1 in the opening set, but rolled off 12 straight games to win the second and third sets by a 6-0 score.
UNO will face the winner of the Washburn/North Dakota match at 9 a.m. Saturday morning at the Washburn Tennis Complex.
1. Schmidt,Katie (UNO) vs. Vaughan,Kindi (CSU-P) 6-3, 4-3, unfinished
2. Russell,Maggie (UNO) vs. Brown,Melissa (CSU-P) 6-1, 3-6, 0-2, unfinished
3. Nagy,Cyndi (CSU-P) def. Henjum,Lindsay (UNO) 6-1, 6-1
4. Le,Pam (UNO) def. Erickson,Ashley (CSU-P) 1-6, 6-0, 6-0
5. Huls,Sarah (UNO) vs. DuVal,Shirley (CSU-P) 6-3, 5-0, unfinished
6. Wilson,Abby (UNO) def. Sisneros,September (CSU-P) 6-0, 6-2
1. Le,Pam/Russell,Maggie (UNO) def. Brown,Melissa/Erickson,Ashley (CSU-P) 8-0
2. Wilson,Abby/Schmidt,Katie (UNO) def. Vaughan,Kindi/Nagy,Cyndi (CSU-P) 8-5
3. Huls,Sarah/Henjum,Lindsay (UNO) def. DuVal,Shirley/Sisneros,September (CSU-P) 8-1
Colorado State-Pueblo 12-8; Regional ranking #6
Nebraska-Omaha 15-5; Regional ranking #3
Order of finish: Doubles (1,3,2); Singles (6,3,4)
NCAA North Central Regional Semifinals
UNO advances to face Washburn/North Dakota winner Saturday morning at 9 a.m.
-- Courtesy Washburn