#15 Duke 4, #32 Michigan 1
#15 Duke 4, #32 Michigan 1May 13, 2005
CHAPEL HILL, N.C. -- Even though 32nd-ranked Michigan came out strong and won the doubles point, 15th-ranked Duke came away with the 4-1 victory in first-round regional action in the NCAA Division I Women's Tennis Tournament at Cone-Kenfield Tennis Center. Duke improves to 16-10 and will face 13th-ranked North Carolina for the second time this year on Saturday at 11 a.m. at Cone-Kenfield Tennis Center.
This will be the second meeting between Duke and North Carolina this season. Carolina won the regular-season conference match 4-3 in Chapel Hill on April 13.
Michigan won the doubles point after taking victories at No. 2 and 3. The Michigan tandem of Leanne Rutherford and Allie Shafner were the first to finish after beating the Blue Devils' Clelia Deltour and Tory Zawacki 8-3 at No. 2. The Wolverines' Elizabeth Exon and Debra Streifler clinched the doubles point with their 8-6 win over Saras Arasu and Parker Goyer at No. 3.
In singles, Duke battled back as 97th-ranked Jackie Carleton cruised at No. 1 beating 71st-ranked Michelle DaCosta 6-1, 6-2. Deltour moved Duke to 2-1 on the day after her three set win over Kara Delicata at No. 3 6-2, 2-6, 6-2.
At No. 5, Zawacki and Streifler battled, but Zawacki came away with the match after winning two tie-breaks. Zawacki won 7-6(3), 7-6(5).
Duke's Kristin Cargill clinched the 4-1 victory for the Blue Devils as she beat Rutherford at No. 4 7-5, 7-6(2).
Doubles (One Point to Michigan)
1. Jackie Carleton/Kristin Cargill (Duke) tied #20 Michelle DaCosta/Kara Delicata (UM), 7-7
2. Leanne Rutherford/Allie Shafner (UM) def. Clelia Deltour/Tory Zawacki (Duke), 8-3
3. Elizabeth Exon/Debra Streifler (UM) def. Saras Arasu/Parker Goyer (Duke), 8-6*
Order of finish: 2,3
1. #97 Jackie Carleton (Duke) def. #71 Michelle DaCosta (UM) 6-1, 6-2
2. Saras Arasu (Duke) led Elizabeth Exon (UM) 6-3, 5-4
3. Clelia Deltour (Duke) def. Kara Delicata (UM, 6-2, 2-6, 6-2
4. Kristin Cargill (Duke) def. Leanne Rutherford (UM) 7-5, 7-6(2)*
5. Tory Zawacki (Duke) def. Debra Streifler (UM) 7-6(3), 7-6(5)
6. Jennifer Zika (Duke) led Nina Yaftali (UM) 7-6(4), 4-6, 4-1
Order of finish: 1,3,5,4
-- Courtesy UNC