UCSD 5, Sonoma State
UCSD 5, Sonoma State 0April 29, 2006
LA JOLLA, Calif. The 17th-ranked UC San Diego womens tennis team opened up postseason play with a convincing 5-0 win over Sonoma State in the first round of the NCAA Division II Tournament on Saturday at the Northview Tennis Courts.
With the victory the Tritons improve to 14-7 on the year while the Seawolves see their season end with a 10-7 overall record. UCSD advances on to the second round of the West Regional where they will face the University of Hawaii Hilo on Thursday, May 4 at 1 p.m. in Hilo, Hawaii.
UCSD jumped out to an early 3-0 lead after the doubles portion of the match. Kristin McKee and Kristin Bronowicki cruised to an easy 8-1 win at the top spot while Marsha Malinow and Ina Dan teamed up for an 8-5 win at the No. 2 spot on the ladder. The Tritons Justine Ang Fonte and Molly Sullens defeated Erin Kramer and Amy Piepenbrink by an 8-4 score to round out the doubles matches.
In singles play, UC San Diego needed only two victories to close out the match as NCAA Tournament contests are played only until a decision is had. UCSD got those two victories at the No. 2 and No. 3 spots on the ladder to close out the match. Ina Dan notched a 6-2, 6-2 win over Laura Robertson just after Kristin Bronowicki picked up an easy 6-1, 6-0 win over Laura Buck.
UC San Diego 5, Sonoma State 0
1. Katie McKee (UCSD) led Becky Kiehn (SSU) 6-3, 4-3
2. Ina Dan (UCSD) def. Laura Robertson (SSU) 6-2, 6-2
3. Kristin Bronowicki (UCSD) def. Laura Buck (SSU) 6-1, 6-0
4. Justine Ang Fonte (UCSD) led Erin Kramer (SSU) 6-1, 4-1
5. Molly Sullens (UCSD) led Megan Malinsky (SSU) 6-1, 5-2
6. Amelia Larkin (UCSD) led Alexis Webb (SSU) 6-2, 2-4
1. Mckee/Bronowicki (UCSD) def. Kiehn/Malinsky (SSU) 8-1
2. Marsha Malinow/Dan (UCSD) def. Robertson/Mallory Cantrell (SSU) 8-5
3. Fonte/Sullens (UCSD) def. Kramer/Amy Piepenbrink (SSU) 8-4