Skidmore Women Advance In NCAA Tournament
May 8, 2009
Courtesy Skidmore Athletics
AMHERST, MA – Hunter College and Skidmore College opened up play in the 2009 NCAA Women’s Tennis Championship Tournament this afternoon with First Round action taking place at Amherst College. The Thoroughbreds swept the Hawks in doubles play, before closing out the win with a pair of singles victories.
In doubles play, Skidmore took a hard-earned sweep that included an 8-5 result in the number two match. The Thoroughbred pairing of Stephanie Abrams with Allie Burns edged Hunter’s team of Linda Ravul and Anna Vagner for the victory. Skidmore took an 8-3 win at number one, while cruising to an 8-0 win at number three.
The Thoroughbreds won the first set in five of the six singles matches, with Hunter’s Evgeniya Kim winning the first set at number one against Danika Robison. The performance from the top of the Hawks lineup was not enough though, as Skidmore’s Tory Engros and Abrams won at number five and six to seal the match. Engros refused to surrender a single game against Linda Ravul, while Abrams won 6-1, 6-2 over Bomi Park.
With the result, Skidmore improves to 16-5 on the year, while Hunter’s season comes to a close at 14-9. The Thoroughbreds advance to tomorrow’s NCAA Second Round, where they will face host Amherst College at 2 p.m. Last season, Amherst and Skidmore faced off in the NCAA Second Round, with the Lord Jeffs winning 5-0.
Hunter 0 : Skidmore 5 ~ Amherst, MA ~ NCAA Tournament First Round ~ May 8, 2009
1) Robison/Loeb (S) def. Kim/Calungcagin (H) 8-3
2) Abrams/Burns (S) def. Ravul/Vagner (H) 8-5
3) Attley/Engros (S) def. Smith/Park (H) 8-0
1) Evgeniya Kim (H) leading Danika Robison (S) 6-1, 2-2
2) Rachel Loeb (S) leading Monica Calungcagin (H) 6-0, 2-1
3) Allie Burns (S) leading Anna Vagner (H) 6-3, 2-1
4) Laura Attley (S) leading Stefanie Smith (H) 6-0, 4-0
5) Tory Engros (S) def. Linda Ravul (H) 6-0, 6-0
6) Stephanie Abrams (S) def. Bomi Park (H) 6-1, 6-2